Anyone have any experience with building a Yugo M64 from a kit ?? Which is the best way to go with the receiver? Should I rebuild the center section with a Wiselite section of something similar or replace the receiver. The only full receivers I have found for the M64 have press and pin barrel. I dont want to ruin the barrel if I dont have to. Any suggestions???

Edited by whitetrashrn
Anyone have any experience with building a Yugo M64 from a kit ?? Which is the best way to go with the receiver? Should I rebuild the center section with a Wiselite section of something similar or replace the receiver. The only full receivers I have found for the M64 have press and pin barrel. I dont want to ruin the barrel if I dont have to. Any suggestions???

FROM WHAT I HAVE FOUND OUT IS YOU CAN SEND YOUR BARREL INTO RAPID FIRE AND THEY WILL THREAD THE RECIEVER THEY MAKE ACCORDINGLY--THATS WHAT I WAS TOLD BY THEM --A MONTH AGO--DAVE

What he said, but without all the yelling.

Its much easier to headspace a press fit than it is to time threads so your gas block doesnt end up on the bottom. Personally, id probably give the welded sections a try, ive always wondered how it would turn out, and its always fun to build something yourself, but the complete receiver is probably easier.

ETA: no personal experience with building an m64 though, to clarify. If i found a decent price on a kit, though, id be all over it.

Edited by ReverendFranz

Thanks! I have been learning allot about this in the last couple of days. To me that is half the fun.(shooting it is first) The more I look into this I find the pre made center is the best way for me to go. No worries about trigger/hammer hole placement. Keeping my matching #, Headspacing, all concerns to me.

Thanks! I have been learning allot about this in the last couple of days. To me that is half the fun.(shooting it is first) The more I look into this I find the pre made center is the best way for me to go. No worries about trigger/hammer hole placement. Keeping my matching #, Headspacing, all concerns to me.

http://www.wiselitearms.net/8.html

Talk to these guys. they build the repair plates for the M-64.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks!! That is the one I want to use..

We built one using the wiselite repair section last weekend. I have to say I was not impressed with the internal measurements. The inside dimensions required a significant amount of grinding and filing in order to allow the bolt to slide. If you have the ability to fabricate your own middle section, Id recommend doing so. Still, the wiselite product did have one thing going for it: it saved us a $hit ton of time.... Below are some pictures of the build in various stages.

img0667w.jpg

img0666.jpg

img0668x.jpg

As you can see, we were able to save the zastava symbol, but the weld beaded into the lighting cut. When I finally finish this thing, I'll file the lightning cut out a bit.

img0670u.jpg

img0671.jpg

Cool. I think the work on the inside with the file and some time may give a snugger fit than the rest of the kit. Have you finished this yet ?? My center section is on the way and my welder has time next week and some time the following week so he will at least have the hour to cut and weld together. I can spend my time with the dremil to clean it up then media blast to match the weld to the parts. My kit has a fair barrel and hopefully someone will make some BHO levers for the inside.

Edited by whitetrashrn
Cool. I think the work on the inside with the file and some time may give a snugger fit than the fest of the kit. Have you finished this yet ?? My center section is on the way and my welder has time next week and some time the following week so he will at least have the hour to cut and weld together. I can spend my time with the dremil to clean it up then media blast to match the weld to the parts. My kit has a fair barrel and hopefully someone will make some BHO levers for the inside.

Haven't finished it yet sadly. Im out a means to rivet at the moment, and I don't know if I want to use screws to do the trigger guard and mag-latch. Ill probably get this done when I have :dollar: cash :dollar: to spend at harborfreight again :smoke:

Glad to hear you got a good barrel, mine looked like a sewer pipe when I first got it from apex. The BHO feature is overrated, but just buy some of those yugo mags (NOT the chinese mags sold as yugo) they have a BHO built into the mag. Keep us posted with pictures when you get around to building it~!

Cool. I think the work on the inside with the file and some time may give a snugger fit than the fest of the kit. Have you finished this yet ?? My center section is on the way and my welder has time next week and some time the following week so he will at least have the hour to cut and weld together. I can spend my time with the dremil to clean it up then media blast to match the weld to the parts. My kit has a fair barrel and hopefully someone will make some BHO levers for the inside.

Haven't finished it yet sadly. Im out a means to rivet at the moment, and I don't know if I want to use screws to do the trigger guard and mag-latch. Ill probably get this done when I have :dollar: cash :dollar: to spend at harborfreight again :smoke:

Glad to hear you got a good barrel, mine looked like a sewer pipe when I first got it from apex. The BHO feature is overrated, but just buy some of those yugo mags (NOT the chinese mags sold as yugo) they have a BHO built into the mag. Keep us posted with pictures when you get around to building it~!

Ak builder makes a screw plate that looks clean. I used these until the rivet tool found it's way to my Ak tool set. Thanks for the help.

Ak builder makes a screw plate that looks clean. I used these until the rivet tool found it's way to my Ak tool set. Thanks for the help.

Nice, I just ordered. $4 is cheap and if/when I get the rivet gear Ill just unscrew. Thanks for the lead. :smoke:

Got the section today, Looks good. My bolt sildes fine in it now, dont know after welding. I'm going to attach the triggerguard and set the front with the mag then finish the back. The trigger,disconnector, and the hammer all work and seem to be at the right height from the bolt. Safety works good as well. I'm stoked now.

post-13220-1246926907.jpg

post-13220-1246926916.jpg

post-13220-1246926926.jpg

post-13220-1246926935.jpg

Edited by whitetrashrn
Got the section today, Looks good. My bolt sildes fine in it now, dont know after welding. I'm going to attach the triggerguard and set the front with the mag then finish the back. The trigger,disconnector, and the hammer all work and seem to be at the right height from the bolt. Safety works good as well. I'm stoked now.

Remember you have to cut that center piece (added during their machining process for support). The areas around it are slightly elevated (at least they were on mine). They required alot of file work to get to bolt to slide. Maybe I got a bunk unit. But thats unlikely. :smoke:

Yea you follow the lines with a little cut off wheel and one side is filed flat with the rail and the other forms the extractor.

Weird, my repair unit must have been flawed. I would get my money back, but Its already welded and running...more pics in the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine is now getting welded. I got a new folding stock with all the parts. The stock looks identical to the old one and hopefully not wobble for a while. I am also waiting on a set of Ironwood Designs Teak handguards. I will mill down the welds then blast and maybe the weld will blend. I want to have it blued but if you can see the connection I will Duracoat it. Cant wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Parts and fix time 3 more weeks for the welder :cryss: . Got everything I need now to finish. New K-var underfolding stock with hardware

New US Yugo type grip, and the best part new Ironwood teak handguards. Have to get this one done and start

a M70 milled next. I want to use a full set of Ironwood teak on the next one. Nice wood and new parts I know wont make it shoot

any better but to make these chopped up box-o-parts into a nice looking firearm is so cool to me.

post-13220-1251408921.jpg

Edited by whitetrashrn