Final questions before ordering parts, nuts, screws, plugs

I'm ready to order parts for my conversion. There's some minor questions left that I know for a fact someone has asked before. The guides are pretty vague and doesn't touch on this. Searching for it is just a pain in the ass and I've been searching and reading up on old topics for a whole week now.

1. Do I need to order the pistol grip screw? I do know that the nut isn't included and I will order that. But do I need the screw?

2. Little things like centerpuncher, I don't have at home. Do I need to order that or can I just use something like a metal chopstick? Where can I order a good tap wrench that will work with this procedure?

3. Will there be any holes left open when the conversion is done? How would you get rid of that?

4. Do I need to order the screw kit?

5. Should I order the standard tapco g2 fcg or the "drop in" version? What is the difference?

6. Should I order the retainer plate or just reuse the shepherd's crook?

7. Do I need the reduced power main-spring?

8. I understand that this conversion only requires minor drilling and dremeling off the rivet, but there is no major modification of the receiver. Is this correct? What I gather from the reading was that you would not need to file or saw off anything and everything should drop in smoothly in place.

Thanks for the help. I know there are too many topics like this scattered around already, but I hope you understand that it's very hard to gather them into one place. We should have a sticky of protips for the conversion plus several sample shopping list. There are always questions left until the conversion is done.

1. Some pistol grips come with the screw, some may not. I believe that the Tapco SAW grip comes with a screw.

2. I'd check Harbor Freight (if you have one in your neighborhood) for the center punch and a tap/thread set. I don't really know what you need the latter for, as far as a basic conversion, but it's a good thing to have around.

3. There will be 4 holes left, 2 on each side of the receiver, where you remove the original trigger pins. There are little nylon plugs that you can use, or you can get some binding screws that are the correct size and run them through the receiver, which looks pretty clean. If you're using an internal stock adapter, you can drill holes in it an run the binding screws through it for added attachment points.

4. Don't know what screw kit you're talking about, if it's an AK screw build kit (vs a rivet build kit) that you speak of, you won't need it.

5. The standard kit will have to have the hammer modified, the other kits come with this already done.

6. I like the plate, personally. I think it's worth the money that you spend, with the time and headache you save.

7. No.

8. Yes.

1. Some pistol grips come with the screw, some may not. I believe that the Tapco SAW grip comes with a screw.

2. I'd check Harbor Freight (if you have one in your neighborhood) for the center punch and a tap/thread set. I don't really know what you need the latter for, as far as a basic conversion, but it's a good thing to have around.

3. There will be 4 holes left, 2 on each side of the receiver, where you remove the original trigger pins. There are little nylon plugs that you can use, or you can get some binding screws that are the correct size and run them through the receiver, which looks pretty clean. If you're using an internal stock adapter, you can drill holes in it an run the binding screws through it for added attachment points.

4. Don't know what screw kit you're talking about, if it's an AK screw build kit (vs a rivet build kit) that you speak of, you won't need it.

5. The standard kit will have to have the hammer modified, the other kits come with this already done.

6. I like the plate, personally. I think it's worth the money that you spend, with the time and headache you save.

7. No.

8. Yes.

Much thanks for the reply,

1. I'm ordering the kvar pistol grip. Do you know if this comes with the screw? I've search on here and google with no answer.

2. I assumed that I would need a tap wrench in order to tap the trunnion for the bullet guide. I'm not very familiar with tapping. Is there anything else one would need? Cutting oil? I saw some kind of tool that you would need to get a small initial hole in the trunnion so the drill can find traction.

3. The latter sounds much more appealing. How extensive is the drilling for further attachment to the internal adapter block?

4. Once again, I find the descriptions of these parts especially vague. I'm having a hard time differentiating between modified and unmodified g2 fcg.

What does the modification of the hammer serve? Will it not fit in there unmodified? Or is this for the BHO (which btw I can't find any info on)?

Can you give me a link to a modified drop in g2 fcg? I assumed that the one on dinzag is already modified, but some of his stuff are rather expensive.

Again, much thanks

Edit: I found dinzag's modified g2 fcg. No wonder it was so expensive.

Edited by GoodFriendlyNeighbor

7. No.

8. Yes.

Much thanks for the reply,

1. I'm ordering the kvar pistol grip. Do you know if this comes with the screw? I've search on here and google with no answer.

2. I assumed that I would need a tap wrench in order to tap the trunnion for the bullet guide. I'm not very familiar with tapping. Is there anything else one would need? Cutting oil? I saw some kind of tool that you would need to get a small initial hole in the trunnion so the drill can find traction.

3. The latter sounds much more appealing. How extensive is the drilling for further attachment to the internal adapter block?

4. Once again, I find the descriptions of these parts especially vague. I'm having a hard time differentiating between modified and unmodified g2 fcg.

What does the modification of the hammer serve? Will it not fit in there unmodified? Or is this for the BHO (which btw I can't find any info on)?

Can you give me a link to a modified drop in g2 fcg? I assumed that the one on dinzag is already modified, but some of his stuff are rather expensive.

Again, much thanks

Edit: I found dinzag's modified g2 fcg. No wonder it was so expensive.

it's expensive but it's worth it, and I don't have a problem with Brian at Dinzag making a profit, good guy and good products

Edited by Phoenix Maximus
8. I understand that this conversion only requires minor drilling and dremeling off the rivet, but there is no major modification of the receiver. Is this correct? What I gather from the reading was that you would not need to file or saw off anything and everything should drop in smoothly in place.

This is my first post, but I'm definitely not new to this forum. From what I have read the only thing that might be a PITA is if you don't have a hole for the pistol grip. Check your riffle out, the hole should be right in front of the original trigger hole and be visible by taking the receiver cover off. If you have the hole your good, if not than you have to cut one but there is a template on here that should make it easier. I can't wait, only another 20 hours or so of reading and a crap load of parts to go till I start mine.

There are ways around cutting a hole for the pistol grip nut. On my .308, I just ran the pistol grip screw through the hole where the trigger was, threading into the slot, and then put a nut on top and tightened it down. Granted, this was with a choate stock, not a conventional pistol grip.

There are ways around cutting a hole for the pistol grip nut. On my .308, I just ran the pistol grip screw through the hole where the trigger was, threading into the slot, and then put a nut on top and tightened it down. Granted, this was with a choate stock, not a conventional pistol grip.

Another option........Saiga-Tech makes a trigger guard just like they do for S12's, with the PG nut, only for the .223 and 7.62x39. I might pick up one, if I don't get the testicles to cut a PG hole into my dimpled Saiga.

Edited by 22_Shooter

The modified vs. unmodified G2: the modified ones will be labeled Tromix (or maybe Dinzag not sure) the stock one is just Tapco. there are two kinds of Tapco G2's You want the single hook, the double hook doesn't do anything extra and requires an extra cut to be made in the reciever.

Tromix modified g2 has the side of hammer dremmeled to make room for the bolt hold open (and it might be polished) its @ 20 bucks more but you can easily shave it yourself. up to you.

I really like the reduced power spring but it is definatly not required, for 15 bucks it is a mod that you can really feel the difference.

Not sure about kvar grip but I'm sure it has to come with some hardware, I used tapco saw and had to use bolt that came with saw grip and nut from the ak bushing package, but not the long bolt it came with it.

I also got the trigger guard mounting screw, I'm not sure if thats the screw kit your talking about but this was like a dollar from CSS and was one screw and stop nut for reusing factory trigger guard, If you plan on another bolt for trigger guard through the mag catch (some do this but I think majority don't) you might want to get two.

Good luck and post pics.