ProMag Saiga 223 Mags: A Detailed reason to avoid.

Dark Asarben, I'm pretty sure that you if would've drilled a few 1/16" diameter holes in the plastic in that area at different angles, you would've gotten the epoxy to possibly hold up. Either way, I don't think that epoxy or JB weld will offer too much support with the bolt slamming into the feed lip. I broke the "tab" on my first two promags. Got them replaced, filed down the tab about 1/4" and put a bevel on it, and I haven't had a problem since. I think promag may have gotten an especially out of spec rifle when they designed the promags. I know with normal aks some mags seat way better than in others, so I think there may be a slight 1/16" tolerance for mag seating. Some rifles the promag may work fine in because the mag seats low enough that the bolt could never hit the feed lip. Others, the mag sits higher (probably neither right nor wrong, just slightly different) and the bolt hits the feed lip snapping it off the first time.

I admit it's a major design fubar. That little tab can not be expected to hold up to a whole lot of pressure. As long as you can keep the bolt off of it, and the rounds sliding over the top of the tab as opposed to doing the brick wall collision, then they should work fine. I have 5. They all have at least 3 or 4 mag fulls through them. I only had to replace the first two... and I learned from them and filed the feed lip down. Works like a charm now.

Edited by 5whiskey