proud new 7.62 owner

I purchased an S12 a couple of months ago and was a little more than thrilled with the performance. So I figured I would try out their 7.62. Right off the bat, I really like the looks of it stock compared to my S12. I bought it barely used and it came with a nice bipod setup and some ammo.

I am planning on doing the skeleton stock swap as I did on my S12, just to keep the feel similar. I do live in MA, so I am limited on what I can do, and I don't mind the skeleton stock I think it is perfectly functional. Please don't tell me to move to another state, that is getting old.

Any other suggestions? Kobra? POSP? Man, I am psyched about hitting the range to see what it does.

I purchased an S12 a couple of months ago and was a little more than thrilled with the performance. So I figured I would try out their 7.62. Right off the bat, I really like the looks of it stock compared to my S12. I bought it barely used and it came with a nice bipod setup and some ammo.

I am planning on doing the skeleton stock swap as I did on my S12, just to keep the feel similar. I do live in MA, so I am limited on what I can do, and I don't mind the skeleton stock I think it is perfectly functional. Please don't tell me to move to another state, that is getting old.

Any other suggestions? Kobra? POSP? Man, I am psyched about hitting the range to see what it does.

Sounds like the addiction bug has bit ya....... Good luck because I have a feeling you may never recover.

She will shoot great just remember your marksmanship rules.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

Just got back from the range, and I am impressed. I really love how it shoots. It was accurate enough for me on the short 50 Yd range. I didn't take exact measurements, but overall I was happy with the iron sights. My only problem now is figuring out my optics choices.

Wow, this one might be my favorite now. :super:

Edited by sawx75

Have you converted restored your S-12? I'm not sure if it's legal to do so in Taxachusetts.

If you'd spent a day at the range with a restored S-12, I think it'd be your favorite Saiga. Don't get me wrong, I love my Saiga 7.62, but my S-12 is more fun now that it's properly restored. The 12's more destructive and cheaper to plink with.

I get different responses concerning converting here in the people's republic. I also have an open post concerning doing a trigger job without moving the pistol grip forward, due to the fact that we can not have the evil pistol grip here. The only response I get is "You're an idiot move to another state". I am not moving anytime soon, so I will look to maximize my gun as is thank you very much.

How bad are the triggers for these? Both my 12 and 7.62 have nice crisp triggers that break consistently and feel just as nice as all my other guns. No trigger slap, no problems at all. Maybe you guys had bad triggers to begin with, but mine seems fine. I understand you are all much more knowledgeable with these, as I am new to the Saiga scene, but my unconverted skeletonized stock works perfect and keeps me clear of Johnny Law. I have seen plenty of full on AK's at the range and nobody seems to really worry about the implications of running into LE on a bad day, but I do.

I am cheap, and do not want my gun to go away, or to pay a fine, or go to big boy prison, just because I had to have that quad rail setup. My firearms suit me for my purposes, and do not need too much tinkering. I wish I could do a full conversion, or just save up and get myself a fuller gun or a kickass tromix, but not in the cards.

All that being said, I would love to get my hands on a converted Saiga, just to see what it can do compared to what I have, because I am thrilled with the performance of mine right out of the box. I might as well ask here. Can I do a trigger job without moving the grip forward?

I get different responses concerning converting here in the people's republic. I also have an open post concerning doing a trigger job without moving the pistol grip forward, due to the fact that we can not have the evil pistol grip here. The only response I get is "You're an idiot move to another state". I am not moving anytime soon, so I will look to maximize my gun as is thank you very much.

How bad are the triggers for these? Both my 12 and 7.62 have nice crisp triggers that break consistently and feel just as nice as all my other guns. No trigger slap, no problems at all. Maybe you guys had bad triggers to begin with, but mine seems fine. I understand you are all much more knowledgeable with these, as I am new to the Saiga scene, but my unconverted skeletonized stock works perfect and keeps me clear of Johnny Law. I have seen plenty of full on AK's at the range and nobody seems to really worry about the implications of running into LE on a bad day, but I do.

I am cheap, and do not want my gun to go away, or to pay a fine, or go to big boy prison, just because I had to have that quad rail setup. My firearms suit me for my purposes, and do not need too much tinkering. I wish I could do a full conversion, or just save up and get myself a fuller gun or a kickass tromix, but not in the cards.

All that being said, I would love to get my hands on a converted Saiga, just to see what it can do compared to what I have, because I am thrilled with the performance of mine right out of the box. I might as well ask here. Can I do a trigger job without moving the grip forward?

In response to how bad the triggers are............factory Saiga triggers use a linkage system. That's what makes it have a crappy (in most people's opinion, maybe not yours) trigger pull. If you're comfortable with that, no need to change it.

But moving the FCG forward, and throwing in a G2 will greatly improve it. You will feel the improvement, regardless of if the factory trigger is OK for you now.

As for "Can I do a trigger job without moving the grip forward?".....what exactly do you mean? If you're asking if you can put a regular AK FCG in it, without moving it forward.....the answer is no. You might be able to do some polishing or something to factory FCG. I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can jump in, and comment on that.

You could move the FCG forward, and throw a skeleton/thumbhole stock on it. So you'll get the trigger improvement (also the US made parts), and have the general same feel as your S12.

Dinzag sells a trigger for non-converted rifles.. Counts as 2 or 3 922r parts I forget..

It counts as 2. But just as a heads up, it still uses that trigger linkage that the factory FCG uses. So I'm not sure what, if any, performance increases it provides. I think it's mainly for the 2 US made parts.

Thanks for all the tips. It looks like doing the 2 part trigger job seems useless to me if it keeps the lever.

I think I was confusing a full on conversion with just going 922 compliant route. Adding up the parts so I can accept 30 rd mags seems like the best route for me. I guess I need to find a USA skeleton stock that is similar to the RAA, hand guard, gas tube, ...

I guess I'll just have to keep my 30rd mags in NH :angel: until I get the required parts.

As far as the Red dot. I really like the side mount Kobra, I'm also seeing some interesting scout style red dots, I've been looking into them to see what people think.