Range report....FINALLY!

Nice 95 degree June day here in NW Ga., so I figure hey, lets go shoot the S12! Drove up to the Adairsville Sporting Range http://www.adairsvillesportingrange.com/ which I found at about 20 miles north of me was probably the closest range. Targets are at 25, 50, and 100 yards.

Nice little place, 2 dudes shooting outside when I got there, one with a scoped AR15 the other with a scoped .22 target rifle. Neither had ever seen or heard of an S12, the AR guy even asked what caliber it was after I told him it was a Saiga 12.

Anyway, first time out for my CGW Nobama special. Ammo used was Fiocchi 12g. 00 buckshot - 9 pellet, Winchester Super X 12g. rifled slugs, and Federal 12g. 7 1/2 shot Walmart bulk. Mags used were 2 ten round AGP's, 2 ten round ProMags, and 2 five round Russian factory mags. All together 75 rounds, 25 of each type.

First up was the Fiocchi buckshot in a AGP mag. First mag every round was a FTE. I had problems with the Fiocchi binding when hand cycling in a ProMag, so had all the buckshot loaded in the AGP mags since it hand cycled fine. Gas setting was on 1. Sprayed a little Remington gun lube on the action, and tried another AGP mag full of Fiocchi. This time every other round FTE. Finally, shot the Russian mag with Fiocchi. 2 out of 5 FTE. Conclusion: STAY AWAY FROM FIOCCHI 00 BUCKSHOT. I don't know if it's a case of European shotshell ammunition being slightly bigger in diameter and causing problems, or Fiocchi shot shells having poor quality. But after I shoot whats left I'm going with Remington or Winchester if I can find it. Weird because Fiocchi pistol ammo I have used performed well.

Second up, moved out to 50 yards for Winchester slugs. These were in 2 ProMags I had tweaked via the thread here, and a Russian 5 rounder. All functioned flawlessly. Not a single FTE in the 25 rounds fired. Very happy the ProMags worked great, as I was little anxious after all the bad press about them here. One thing, with the slugs my POI seemed to be consistently high. I am using the Krebs sights centered on the factory bead I still have on the gun. Anyone else experience this when firing slugs?

Finally back to 25 yards for the Federal birdshot. Loaded into one AGP, one ProMag, and a Russian 5 rounder. Two FTE's on gas setting 1, none on a mag at gas setting 2. Not bad.

Tromix bolt on charging handle was a real bonus, as was the Krebs sights. I can't stress how much better the Krebs is compared to the factory sights. DPH Russian birdcage flashhider looked silvery after running 75 rounds through it. Maybe they could use better anodizing, maybe they already do as mine was from their first batch. Also glad I had the heavy Soviet AK buttpad on the stock, or I would be in some PAIN right now, The slugs kick like hell in my gun!

Anyway, good day at the range. No pics as I went alone, but maybe I'll get some next time out...:)

Edited by Jpanzer

Nice report.

Hmmmm... I shoot the shit out of Fiocchi #4 buck, no problems in my Russkie 5, Surefire's 2, 10 or 12 nor MD20.

As for the high POI with Krebs, simply adjust the FS elevation.

Weird. Like I said, Fiocchi pistol ammo always worked great for me. Don't know why my S12 didn't like it. Going to try some domestic buckshot just for comparison next trip. Would think if it was a gun or mag problem it would have shown up with the slugs and birdshot too.... :huh:

Good info.

Was the Fiocchi marked as low recoil?

Did you try gas setting 2 with it?

Yep, the slugs really kick. My daughter tried the S12 with some Nobel 00 buck and she said it felt like a punch in the shoulder.

She likes the AK better. :)

I have the standard AK Tapco stock and am looking for a pad for it.

You mention the "heavy Soviet AK buttpad"..... where did you get that, any pics?

Good info.

Was the Fiocchi marked as low recoil?

Did you try gas setting 2 with it?

Yep, the slugs really kick. My daughter tried the S12 with some Nobel 00 buck and she said it felt like a punch in the shoulder.

She likes the AK better. :)

I have the standard AK Tapco stock and am looking for a pad for it.

You mention the "heavy Soviet AK buttpad"..... where did you get that, any pics?

The Fiocchi was standard recoil, and looking at the box I see they claim it was loaded in the US by Fiocchi America, so my theory about it being out of spec doesn't seem likely. Only two FTE out of 50 non buckshot rounds fired, and that was birdshot on gas setting 1. If not the Fiocchi what else could be wrong?

As for the butt pad, got it here: http://aa-ok.com If you look around you might find it a buck or two cheaper elsewhere, but the stuff I've ordered from them always is shipped quickly and is of good quality.

ak257.jpg

>>If not the Fiocchi what else could be wrong?

What is the DRAM rating on it?

I would have to agree, it sounds like the Fiocchi is loaded with a light charge.

Doesn't sound line a gun problem since it's cycling ok otherwise.

Try some Nobel Sport 00 buck in it. That cycles damn near as hard as slugs.

Thanks for the info on the pad, I may get that one if I don't see anything else I like.

...Second up, moved out to 50 yards for Winchester slugs. These were in 2 ProMags I had tweaked via the thread here, and a Russian 5 rounder. All functioned flawlessly. Not a single FTE in the 25 rounds fired. Very happy the ProMags worked great, as I was little anxious after all the bad press about them here. One thing, with the slugs my POI seemed to be consistently high. I am using the Krebs sights centered on the factory bead I still have on the gun. Anyone else experience this when firing slugs?...

Yes, the Krebs front sight comes "all the way down", (ensuring a high POI with slugs at ~50 yards). You just need to adjust the front sight for elevation, (bring the blade up with an adjustment tool), till you're hitting what you're aiming at. Once it's dialed-in, the Krebs is a damn fine sight.

Edited by post-apocalyptic