New Saiga owner

Hi, I excited to say I'm a new Saiga .223 owner. It is my first semi-Rifle. I'm not sure about what conversions I want to do.. if any. So I have some questions.

Before I got test firing- I read on hear that using a 30rd mag (with no other convertions) is illegal? Is this true? Taking this to the range.. I should just us the 10rd mag it came with.

Is there a list of what the convertion parts actually do for the rife?

Thanks.. I'm sure I'll learn more as I go.

If you convert it, the original Fire Control Croup (FCG) will need to be replaced. This alone makes a big difference on the trigger pull, plus it adds a pistol grip which is more ergonomic. If you want to use 30 round magazines with the rifle without converting, you would just have to use American made magazines (Surefire's) and change out one other part to an American made one (The easiest would be the forearm stock). I like the Surefire railed stock, it's not too expensive, is solid and looks good.

Hi, I excited to say I'm a new Saiga .223 owner. It is my first semi-Rifle. I'm not sure about what conversions I want to do.. if any. So I have some questions.

Before I got test firing- I read on hear that using a 30rd mag (with no other convertions) is illegal? Is this true? Taking this to the range.. I should just us the 10rd mag it came with.

Is there a list of what the convertion parts actually do for the rife?

Thanks.. I'm sure I'll learn more as I go.

Congrats on the new Saiga. I just picked up my second 223 yesterday.The 10 round mag works fine, you just have to reload more often.

I get my first Saiga tomorrow and was thinking about buying the trigger from Dinzag. How well do these triggers help do they clean this trigger up nicely. I'm used to doing all my own work on my guns and feel this is how i get to know them as stupid as it sounds.

What other parts do you other members recommend for some new owners to help imrove the existing model?

To all. Congrats on your new rifles.

There is ALOT of info here.

Check out the pics sections and the sticky's in the 922r and conversions threads.

And do yourselves a favor. Do some research before asking specific questions.

Most guys are here to help but few are tolerant of laziness.

those dinzag triggers do a lot of good. you can easily feel how much smoother it is the first pull. like to smooth pieces of glass. the original could only feel grittier if it had actual sand paper between the pieces.

Congrats on owning a Saiga .223 it's a great gun you will love it.

Convert that thing the real way! Check out the stickied picture thread for all the various setups you can accomplish with a conversion and find the one you like best.

AND WHATEVER YOU DO. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT, do one of those stupid half ass TAPCO T6/ACE Block "bolt on" conversions. They do not improve ergonomics, still use the crappy factory trigger, and are, simply put, a waste of money. Just about everyone who does the CRAPCO conversion proceeds to do the real one somewhere down the line. How am I so sure? I'm one of them.

Check out my rifle, this kind of conversion will cost you about $200. If you use a different handguard or just keep the stock forearm, drop that price down to maybe $90-120 and 2-3 hours of work time.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=40197

Convert that thing the real way! Check out the stickied picture thread for all the various setups you can accomplish with a conversion and find the one you like best.

AND WHATEVER YOU DO. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT, do one of those stupid half ass TAPCO T6/ACE Block "bolt on" conversions. They do not improve ergonomics, still use the crappy factory trigger, and are, simply put, a waste of money. Just about everyone who does the CRAPCO conversion proceeds to do the real one somewhere down the line. How am I so sure? I'm one of them.

Check out my rifle, this kind of conversion will cost you about $200. If you use a different handguard or just keep the stock forearm, drop that price down to maybe $90-120 and 2-3 hours of work time.

Thanks for your replies even though this isnt my thread. i'm still getting used to using this forum as its different from the other forums i use when it comes to the search function(as dumb as it sounds).

I really want to get down to buisness on working on the Saiga but dont know whether or not to let Dinzags do the trigger, or do the trigger myself. I've done 4 triggers so far in which i brought the pull down to about 3-4lbs and really enjoy the work for some reason.

I'm happy i didnt purchase the Tapco T6 i was going to but decided to do wood instead. I just love the classic look/feel of walnut.

Thanks for your replies even though this isnt my thread. i'm still getting used to using this forum as its different from the other forums i use when it comes to the search function(as dumb as it sounds).

I really want to get down to buisness on working on the Saiga but dont know whether or not to let Dinzags do the trigger, or do the trigger myself. I've done 4 triggers so far in which i brought the pull down to about 3-4lbs and really enjoy the work for some reason.

I'm happy i didnt purchase the Tapco T6 i was going to but decided to do wood instead. I just love the classic look/feel of walnut.

no need for dinzag to do anything. you just need:

instructions:

http://vimeo.com/2787027

tools:

dremel, hand drill

rubber mallet, chisel or flathead screwdriver, tweezers, maybe a vice if you have one

parts:

AK trigger group

AK pistol Grip

AK Stock

pistol grip screw/nut/bushing

optional but very cheap and you should get:

AK retaining plate (will save you the shepherd's crook/e clips headache)

Duplicolor 500 low gloss black spray paint from pep boys to refinish bottom of receiver

red loctite

canned air

I must stress again to all the new people out there that there is no logical reason to waste time and/or money on the ACE/CRAPCO "conversion" blocks

Edited by saigafun12345

Well... just went out and put 100rds (wolf 55gr) through my new .223. Awesome... fun.

I was surprised how little the kick is and how hard the trigger pull is. The ejected shell distance was also surprising. (Is there anything you can do with the emty shells?)

At 100+ yards I didn't do too well.. with the Iron sights I was low but hit the target stand, not the target.

At 50+ feet standing I unloaded a bunch and was all within 6 to 8 inches. I was using a Vortex Reddot.. and was low on my sights too. (First time using a red dot)

I am very interested to learn how to acuaratly shoot my saiga. Is there any modifications that will help me out??

I am very interested to learn how to acuaratly shoot my saiga. Is there any modifications that will help me out??

Practice. A lighter trigger pull will help, but honestly nothing is better than practicing. I haven't tried mine at anything other than beer cans/cinder blocks at 25-30 yards, but I had no problem popping cans with the old trigger setup. I'm looking forward to trying my fully converted .223 out soon.