how about a Saiga .45-70?

45-70 is not the right "style" of cartridge. Shoot a .308 sometime and even a 30-06 M1A and you might understand the idea that there is only so much needed power in bullets that you will want to shoulder in a semi-automatic.

The .223 was conceived because of ligher weight ammo. The 45-70 is kind of going against the logic.

The big problem is the barrel. But at least one company is starting to make US barrels for the S-12 so there is hope.

Add to that the legality of turning a shotgun into a rifle and you may find out it would be easier to convert a S-308 to 444 or .45-70.

I'd look at the rounds derived from .223 and .308 and look at re barreling a rifle.

No reason you couldn't swap a barrel in an S-308 for one chambered for 338 federal.

Anyone know if a 410 bolt will lock on S-308 lugs?

If it does that might be a way to get a rimmed rifle round into an AK.

I'd rather just see a 30-06 configuration. It's faster, and there are plenty of bullets around for it. Plus, it has already been done.

In all honesty, you'd be better off at a short range with .410 in a rifled slug. I doubt mr bad guy would know either way if he was hit with the .410 or the .45 caliber bullet. Heck, the 12 ga model of this fiream in rifled slug is even better at close proximity than the 45-70. They were a slow buring powder type of cartridge, and most of these shorter barrel firearms are going to really take a toll on it's performance.

30-06, Now that's the ticket. Big brother to the .308 Winchester, with a bit more speed on the top end.

sorry to post and not check back for a week. I didnt really think it would be practical. i just thought it would be fun to shoot one once.

I heard that way back in the day ingram made a .410 street sweeper and offered a .45-70 barrel for it. and i thought that since siaga shotguns are better than street sweepers, why not?

I'll see what the shotgun guys think

thanks for all the input.