This seems like a stupid question, but I wanted some other opinions from more experienced people . . . Is the brass bulging like this unsafe? This should NOT be reloaded, right? This is bad, right?

ammo4.jpg

And a few more shots . . .

ammo1.jpgammo2.jpgammo3.jpgammo5.jpg

I noticed it did not bulge the Winchester Super X slug brass, but it did make a visible line. (underlined in blue)ammo6-1.jpg

I could not see any lines or deformation on any of the 150 rounds of low brass I tried. 3 different brands of low brass, btw. This is the first time this gun has been taken out since the feed ramp modification. I noticed, what seems to be the bulging of the brass, making mark on the top of the feed ramp/rear-bottom of the chamber. I circled the mark in blue on the first picture.

FeedRamp1-1.jpg

FeedRamp2-1.jpg

FeedRamp3.jpg

FeedRamp4.jpg

So what's the deal, guys? Am I being paranoid? Or is this not good?

Please advise!

Edited by Raoul_Duke

Wow,

look how dirty it is!

Oh, Oh the problem, oh yeah

looks like there isn't much face left to chamber in the barrel and the bulging is happening in the area of your feed ramp work.

Maybe you went a little too far grinding it down

I am not sure is a total bad thing if it feeds and ejects properly, but those spent shells wont be able to be re-loaded.

a shotty has a lot less preassure than a rifle so you may be ok as long as you don't use sabot slugs,..

great pictures!

Edited by Gas Giant

No, that's not good. I would stop using that particular ammo (green). Unfortunately, if you don't have a slight ramp on the bottom of the barrel, if you get a low-feed coming out of the magazine, which does happen, the shell will jam.

That's what is happening here............... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=41851&hl=

It can also happen with some ammo, where the factory relieves the extractor cut, like here........ http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=27202

Tony

My guess is too much metal was removed for the feed ramp mod where maybe it should not have been. That I dont know...

I dont know if I would call it an UNSAFE mod, as it doesnt do it with all loads, and not at all with low brass... it obviously is showing signs of pressure, which could be due in part to VERY SOFT brass used in the casings themselves. If higher power shells with non brass rims, or a different manufacturer of shells DO NOT create that bulge, I would say that lot of shells is out of spec.

I would think resizing those casings would be a bitch... maybe they will resize, but I bet you would need a dedicated sizer, not a press mounted one that works at the decapping stage.

Would I try to reload them? Probably NOT... hulls are too readily available to risk your health to save a few pennies.

( If they were the ONLY shells I had left and the SHTF... sure. But then that's me... Mr. Vegas... :up: )

Good luck!

:smoke:

.....which could be due in part to VERY SOFT brass used in the casings themselves. If higher power shells with non brass rims, or a different manufacturer of shells DO NOT create that bulge, I would say that lot of shells is out of spec.

.........I don't believe it's so much a problem with the brass being very soft as it is with the loading of the shell itself at the factory. Some of these shells are loaded with powder all the way to the back flange (as opposed to loading to a back wad), and as a result have expansion all the way to the back. The feed ramp mod allows this expansion when the shells have been loaded in this manner.......

Try various brands to find the proper load that won't allow this expansion that far back...... That should solve the problem.....

Edited by Jeaux E