Tappet fitting?

How should tappets fir inside the gas tube, should they float freely enough to hear them sliding back and forth when you move the gun, or should it be tight enough to only move upon firing?

It should not rattle around loosely, but should move freely.

If you bought a King's Armory gas tappet, the instructions that came with it addresses making sure it fits correctly. They ARE a little bigger and may be tighter than the factory tappet. If TOO tight, there is a procedure for fitting it in the instructions, or you can send it back to them for custom fitting.

OTOH, if you're talking about a factory tappet, and it's too loose, a KA tappet may well solve your problem as well as help with an undergassing situation, as it IS slightly larger than the factory tappet.

If the factory tappet is too tight, there's a very good chance that you have carbon buildup in the tube and threads at the forward end of the tube. Careful cleaning can help with that.

So, either way, you can have a gas tappet that fits snug enough to not allow excess gas leakage around it, and loose enough to move freely upon firing.

That's what you want.

Let us know how you make out as you progress.

Good luck.

The tappet should move freely, but not necessarily loosely. There is a bit of variance in the tolerances so sometimes you get a slightly undersized puck and a slightly oversized bore which results in a sloppy fit. Other times you can get a slightly oversized puck and a slightly undersized bore which results in a binding fit. When we designed the KA-SG01's we had to work on an "average" OEM dimension so once in awhile you'll come across a Saiga that they won't fit, we can resize tappets, but we usually prefer that folks send in their gas blocks and we'll bore them to the correct dimensions. Precision and good QC are foreign concepts to the Russians unfortunately.

In every factory Saiga shottie I've handled, the puck slid freely back and forth in the gas block, in a few it has rattled a bit loosely.

I've used all three pucks, the OEM, Chaos and KA, and below is a commentary from another thread, which covers my experience with'em.

It is now my opinion that whichever puck you use it should do do two things, it should easily pass the threads & slide freely within the block.

Also, just my opinion/experience, Do Not use a puck that has to be manipulated past the threads, when heavily fouled it will have to be knocked out of the block, and if it forced past the threads they may be damaged.

Really, no noticeable performance differences between the three pucks, but very noticeable differences in how they fit in the gas block.

Russkie puck, great fit, inserts easily past threads, slides easily within the block & rattles just a bit if shaken side to side, fouling after several hundred rounds necessitated forcible removal.

Chaos puck, a bitch to get past the threads, moved freely in the block, any insertion/removal required manual manipulation/tapping with a rod & fouling after several hundred rounds necessitated forcible removal.

* KA puck(s),

*1st one initially fit kind'a tight, any insertion/removal required manual manipulation, moved freely in the block, fouling after several hundred rounds necessitated forcible removal. After approx 400 rnds, had issues with removal and subsequent re-installation, puck showed out of spec defects, unkown whether they were incurred during manufacture or normal usage.

KA replaced the puck...

*2nd one fits great, easy to insert/remove & moves freely within the gas block. Have not had a chance to test this one.

*Design may pose a potential problem with damage to gas block threads if care is not taken during removal when fouled.

The tappet should move freely, but not necessarily loosely. There is a bit of variance in the tolerances so sometimes you get a slightly undersized puck and a slightly oversized bore which results in a sloppy fit. Other times you can get a slightly oversized puck and a slightly undersized bore which results in a binding fit. When we designed the KA-SG01's we had to work on an "average" OEM dimension so once in awhile you'll come across a Saiga that they won't fit, we can resize tappets, but we usually prefer that folks send in their gas blocks and we'll bore them to the correct dimensions. Precision and good QC are foreign concepts to the Russians unfortunately.

I was speaking of a factory tappet in my original post.

When you talk about "sloppy fit" define what you mean by that?

Like I said earlier, I'm speaking of one (factory) that freely slides back and forth within the gas tube without hanging up as the rifle is tilted back and forth.

If that too loose of a tappet or is that normal? Or are they suppose to stay in place only moved by the force of gas within the gas tube upon discharge of a round AND otherwise not heard from.

I was speaking of a factory tappet in my original post.

When you talk about "sloppy fit" define what you mean by that?

Like I said earlier, I'm speaking of one (factory) that freely slides back and forth within the gas tube without hanging up as the rifle is tilted back and forth.

If that too loose of a tappet or is that normal? Or are they suppose to stay in place only moved by the force of gas within the gas tube upon discharge of a round AND otherwise not heard from.

They are supposed to slide freely back/forth within the gas block, you should hear them slide/clink end to end as they do so.

Sloppy would probably be best defined as to allow wobble as it travels, or if you shake the gun side to side the puck rattles.

To sloppy and too much gas would be escaping around the puck, possibly contributing to under gassing.