Vortex Strikefire died

So I was firing last night. Emptied about 1/2 a clip as fast as I could pull the trigger. Goofing off in front of friends. Vortex died. It stayed on, and wouldn't go off, its stuck on the green dot. I pulled the battery, and put it back in. Its still on. Left it out for 8 hours, still on. WTF?

Edited by JonTheSavage

I cooked mine shooting it 328rds hot and heavy on an Ultimak mount and they emailed me a prepaid UPS label right away.

It is being examined at their facility as we speak.They will replace it quick,no BS.

What kind of mount were you using?

Low end American optics seem to be as rugged as a soft boiled egg. Trade that junk and buy a pk-as or pk-a. Much more rugged. Both fall in the sub $300 range. To get an american optic built as rugged as those two, you'll need to spend `$500+. Sad fact, but low priced Com-block optics don't break as much. :haha:

Low end American optics seem to be as rugged as a soft boiled egg. Trade that junk and buy a pk-as or pk-a. Much more rugged. Both fall in the sub $300 range. To get an american optic built as rugged as those two, you'll need to spend `$500+. Sad fact, but low priced Com-block optics don't break as much. :haha:

I wouldn't wipe my ass with either of the Russian optics I have owned but I wasn't sure the Vortex would do any better but it was worth a shot.

I wouldn't wipe my ass with either of the Russian optics I have owned but I wasn't sure the Vortex would do any better but it was worth a shot.

SOPMOD:> Did you own a Russian collimator sight like the PK-AS or Kobra? I have to tell you I have a PK-AS and I have not found its western analog in terms of ruggedness, reliability, and price point. Really aside from some of the aimpoint stuff that costs twice as much your not going to find better optics on this platform.

But, I am curious to hear which models you have run, as your much more of an active shooter than I am (Im really more of a collector/builder).

22_Shooter:> I should have said "US companies". The fact that their gear is built in Asia is *NOT* a positive BTW....

Bah Humbug technology! My iron sights never fail, and I don't forget to turn them on (or turn them off and kill the batteries!) Just throw it up, chant the old rangemaster's mantra "Front sight, front sight, front sight" and squeeze the grape!

BTW, I am showing my age! That mantra was drilled into us in the two week Police Firearms Instructors course on the late 70's! They have come up with different methods now, but that still works for me. Also when I load a weapon. I say aloud "The weapon is loaded" It helps prevent accidents and re-enforces safety. I have done it for 30+ years, and never had an AD.

Edited by imarangemaster
HA! I fixed it. Stupid thing. I banged it on the table against the button, and it went off. I hit the button again, and it cycled. Works fine now. :)

This thing is pretty tough, with the exception of the button area.

JonSavage:> Id spend the extra money if you insist on not using the Russian gear (which is rock solid and difficult to break). Go with the Eotech or Aimpoint.

Imarangemaster:> I still use iron sights for most of my rifles as well. When I get older and my eyes get worse, Ill probably change that though.

HA! I fixed it. Stupid thing. I banged it on the table against the button, and it went off. I hit the button again, and it cycled. Works fine now. :)

I dunked mine in a bucket of water for 24 hours and whacked it sharply a few hundred times with a raw hide mallet over the course of a week waiting for my next chance to shoot and it never lost zero and was right on the money up until I proceeded to go through a full fighting load of 360rds in 7 minutes where it got so hot that sweat would sizzle when it hit the body of the sight and then finally the dot would blink on and off around 328rds and then when I got home and put a fresh battery(melted the plastic out sleeve of the factory battery) nothing,a total brick.The sight is as tough as an older aimpoint to be sure it just doesn't have the heat resistance to get heated up to 250F without something going nuts in the dot/battery circuit.

I'll be using it's replacement on my wife's M4 which I also use whenever I train with other M16/AR15 users without a fear in the world of it going down.

JonSavage:> Id spend the extra money if you insist on not using the Russian gear (which is rock solid and difficult to break). Go with the Eotech or Aimpoint.

Imarangemaster:> I still use iron sights for most of my rifles as well. When I get older and my eyes get worse, Ill probably change that though.

I admit that past 100 yards, my eyes suck! 57 is not old, but it is not young, either. Just seasoned, I suppose! :haha: I could do a man size at 200 with no problem still, but anything smaller than a coyote, etc, 100 is my limit with iron sights. For a house/farm weapon, though, ONLY iron sights. Fast, close, and ALWAYS work. Perfect for two and four legged goblins, zombies and varmints.

I admit that past 100 yards, my eyes suck! 57 is not old, but it is not young, either. Just seasoned, I suppose! :haha: I could do a man size at 200 with no problem still, but anything smaller than a coyote, etc, 100 is my limit with iron sights. For a house/farm weapon, though, ONLY iron sights. Fast, close, and ALWAYS work. Perfect for two and four legged goblins, zombies and varmints.

Yeah, you've got about 20 years on me, but Im no spring chicken at 200 yards. Heh, I'll bet Ill have trouble at 25 yards when I hit my 50's.... :haha:

My glasses are as thick as coke bottles now pushing 40 and I am thinking some Lasic will be the ultimate shooting accessory for some of us.I have been using dot sights since 1992 when I went to a shop and paid $179 full retail for an Aimpoint 3000 because I saw them on the rifles that Stormin Norman's security detail carried and never looked back.If you get your old eyes on a dot sight you will be blown away by how much your shooting improves.You shoot like you did at your peak with iron sights within 60 seconds of getting it zeroed.

My glasses are as thick as coke bottles now pushing 40 and I am thinking some Lasic will be the ultimate shooting accessory for some of us.I have been using dot sights since 1992 when I went to a shop and paid $179 full retail for an Aimpoint 3000 because I saw them on the rifles that Stormin Norman's security detail carried and never looked back.If you get your old eyes on a dot sight you will be blown away by how much your shooting improves.You shoot like you did at your peak with iron sights within 60 seconds of getting it zeroed.

:haha: Ha! you may want to invest in a good pair of running shoes SOPMOD before going for the lasic! Being physically fit is probably your best investment in a "shooting accessory".... :haha:

You ever gonna answer my question as to what russian optics you've owned but wouldn't wipe your ass with???

:haha: Ha! you may want to invest in a good pair of running shoes SOPMOD before going for the lasic! Being physically fit is probably your best investment in a "shooting accessory".... :haha:

You ever gonna answer my question as to what russian optics you've owned but wouldn't wipe your ass with???

Running shoes?In a gunfight I'm probably not the one who needs to be running away ;)

I had a Kobra and one of those Grey Aimpoint looking things with the built in sidemount and they were both bricks in less than 6 months of shooting

I actually had an Aimpoint M65 on a DPMS M4gery I had (but sold). I did like it, but continuously forgot to turn it off. If I don't hunt deer with my S&W 29-2 44 mag 8 3/8" next year, I will probably use a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel and Bushnell Trophy 1X red dot. I'd use the Saiga, but Illinois requires SG or pistol.

Running shoes?In a gunfight I'm probably not the one who needs to be running away ;)

I had a Kobra and one of those Grey Aimpoint looking things with the built in sidemount and they were both bricks in less than 6 months of shooting

ha! nice dude. The Kobra shouldn't have F-ed up, not sure about the other model (Probably the PK-01 which had issues, not the PK-A). You should give the PK-AS-V or PK-AS-W a try. The unit is in a league by itself in terms of Com-Block gear.

ha! nice dude. The Kobra shouldn't have F-ed up, not sure about the other model (Probably the PK-01 which had issues, not the PK-A). You should give the PK-AS-V or PK-AS-W a try. The unit is in a league by itself in terms of Com-Block gear.

I like the PK-AS on paper but when their price broke the $200 mark they just priced themselves into "Used Aimpoint Land".I have half a dozen weapon to put dot sights on and realy didn't want to spend $1500-$2000 on optics for them but it looks like that is what I must do if I want my stuff to have AK reliability and long battery life.

When the offcenter PK-AS was $150 I should have bought a bunch of them but I didn't know if they would be any better than the crap I had already experienced so I didn't :(

22_Shooter:> I should have said "US companies". The fact that their gear is built in Asia is *NOT* a positive BTW....

Who said it was :rolleyes: .

I'm working a 2nd job now along side my business. I may just pony up the $ and get an EoTech.

Save a little more and get an Aimpoint CompC3. One of the cheapest Aimpoint models, but you get all the Aimpoint quality and battery life. It's the best option, IMO, if you don't have a need for NV or the need to go more than 17' under water with your gun sight.

I'm working a 2nd job now along side my business. I may just pony up the $ and get an EoTech.

Save a little more and get an Aimpoint CompC3. One of the cheapest Aimpoint models, but you get all the Aimpoint quality and battery life. It's the best option, IMO, if you don't have a need for NV or the need to go more than 17' under water with your gun sight.

I don't think the Comp C3 has the high temp RTV of the more expensive models,does it?The high temp RTV+Silicon doping and the newer power management chip are why the military models are more expensive and can be submerged further and take more heat.

If I am correct then the Strikefire is already pretty close(very tough but can't take intense heat)

I've been wiping my ass with a Vortex Strikefire for about a month now, and it seems to be working really well. No malfunctions at least. For $150 I agree with SOPMOD completely that it is worth a shit.. I mean shot.

I don't think the Comp C3 has the high temp RTV of the more expensive models,does it?The high temp RTV+Silicon doping and the newer power management chip are why the military models are more expensive and can be submerged further and take more heat.

If I am correct then the Strikefire is already pretty close(very tough but can't take intense heat)

According to Aimpoint's site, the CompC3 will handle from -20*F, up to 140*F. Compared the CompM3 and CompM4 (which are pretty commonly bought models) which can both handle up to 160*F.

CompC3 - http://www.aimpoint.com/upload/products/20..._Eng_M00810.pdf

CompM3 - http://www.aimpoint.com/upload/products/20..._Eng_M00486.pdf

CompM4 - http://www.aimpoint.com/upload/products/20..._Eng_M00824.pdf

SOPMOD, do you know what the temperature cap is on the Strikefire? I can't find it on Vortex's site.

I like the PK-AS on paper but when their price broke the $200 mark they just priced themselves into "Used Aimpoint Land".I have half a dozen weapon to put dot sights on and realy didn't want to spend $1500-$2000 on optics for them but it looks like that is what I must do if I want my stuff to have AK reliability and long battery life.

When the offcenter PK-AS was $150 I should have bought a bunch of them but I didn't know if they would be any better than the crap I had already experienced so I didn't :(

Last couple didn't go much above $200 on gunbroker:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129910229

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130970056

Price through dealers is hovering around $350. But your right, at above 350, you could find some good used gear. Ive been saving for a T-1 for a while, just can't bring myself to drop $600 + the $ for a railed gas tube.