Rust under the trigger plate

I noticed from many of the pictures and videos of the conversion that there's rust under the factory sporterized plate. It seems that the Russian didn't bother to put any finishing under there, and since it's degreased without any sort of protectant, it was bound to rust eventually. I have since painted over that part but contemplating sanding off the paint and using some sort of rust remover and do a proper job to ensure that the gun truly last.

Has anyone done something similar? Did you just spray paint over it and forgot all about it or did you go the whole nine yard and sanded off everything to put a new finishing on?

I had some rust on mine.. I just sanded it of degreased it and painted over.

Its going to happen, there are many areas on these rifles that have overlapping areas and they way they are finished there is little protection added. Even still they will probably out live you if you do the bare minimum and oil them from time to time.

If the rust really got bad I would strip the rifle down and redo the finish, but a couple little rust spots aint the end of the world, brush them off and paint them.

On my S12, I gave it a light sanding to get the slight rust off. Then hit it with high temp engine paint.

It's held up so far.

On my x39, I didn't even bother to "refinish" it with spray paint. I just sanded the rust off, and have since kept a light coating of CLP on it.