Venting Handguard

Just took my new saiga out to the range last Sunday. Had a blast, and have the parts coming to do the conversion. I had planned on leaving the stock handguard on for now, but was amazed how warm it got.

Does venting the handguard help this problem much? If so what is the best way to cut the vents in the handguard, and where would you want to put the vents? Thanks for any info!

Just took my new saiga out to the range last Sunday. Had a blast, and have the parts coming to do the conversion. I had planned on leaving the stock handguard on for now, but was amazed how warm it got.

Does venting the handguard help this problem much? If so what is the best way to cut the vents in the handguard, and where would you want to put the vents? Thanks for any info!

With a drill look at the Photo gallery and you will see how others have ventilated their forarms.......

With a drill look at the Photo gallery and you will see how others have ventilated their forarms.......

Yes, but that does not answer if it has really helped the cooling problem, or just looks cool.

Can't hurt .... some of these guys shoot and shoot ..... After a couple of hundred rounds the stock forarm has to get hot .... Drilling the holes has to dissipate the the heat well enough for people who only shoot 50 to 100 rounds with time to check targets between firing......

heres a pic of my vented handguard, i didnt do it myself i got it off eadodd, he did a very good job, but hopefully it will give you a idea of what to do, i havnt shot it yet with the vented handguard but i have put a few hundred rounds down range with a stock handguard and a cut handguard and they held up fine, but im the person who shoots 50-100 rounds stopping to check the target.

post-18191-1247620510_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have mine done by a machinist on a mill. They come out near perfect to perfect. If you look close at the pics some of the forum members have done by hand you can see the difference.

Edited by eadodd