Will an Ultimak M1B Railed Gas Tube fit atop a Surefire tri-rail handg

I'm wondering if I can fit the ULTIMAK M1-B railed gas tube on top of my Surefire tri-rail handguard.

If it took just a little modification I could do it--but if it's a ton of work, it's not really worth it...I just thought a light-weight rail up there would give me red-dot/scope options than the LaRue AK dot sight (I'm not really into the side mounted rails for some reason even though, I know, it's more in the spirit of doing things the russian/AK way).

The gas tube rail mount is here:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...aiga-gas/Detail

The surefire I have on my gun is here:

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...dsh-rail/Detail

Edited by jflow25@gmail.com

I cant answer definitively, as i dont have either in my hand, currently, and a search just showed that a couple other people have asked and not received responses. My guess is that no one has tried it yet.

I think it should work without a problem, as I have seen the Ultimak with a DPH trirail (like this) dpharms.com/saiga-12-gauge-tri-rail-system-p-984.html and if anything, the surefire will be easier to do any clearancing if any does need to be done, but my hunch is that any fitting would be minimal. Maybe someone knows better than I.

I tried different things to take the top of the tri rail off, but believe it on not I cut it with a hack saw and fine tuned it with a fine file. I can try to take a closer pic for you, so you can get a better look. The paracord wrap is easy, if I can find the link I'll post it. I just deleted from my bookmarks last week, lol.

I have the Ultimak rail and where the bands that strap it down to the barrel are you will have to remove some material to clear both bands.

I have not done it with the SF hand rail specifically, but I did it with a factory handguard and a UTG quad rail, where I did not use the top obviously.

On both the factory piece and the lower part of the quad they both needed to be relieved in the area of the Ultimak bands.

Here's some pics, I tried to remove as little as possible but for it to look even and to fit the screws that attach it to the barrel I had to remove more than I liked. Overall I'm happy with it. Hope you can see alittle better with the close ups.

post-17599-1247768026_thumb.jpg

post-17599-1247768039_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures, chupa. I have both the ultimak and the SF hand guard and was debating what I'd end up with if I started cutting up the SF. Looks like yours came out quite nice. More inclined to give it a try, now.

How do you like the scout scope? Is it as fast as open sights?

Bob

I do not have a scout scope. It is a leapers tactedge and I am looking for a new red dot, I could never get it sighted in. I just got a bore sight and need to give it a last try. Glad I could help 555.