12ga "dummy rounds"

Are these pretty easy to make from live ammo?

Just pull the guts out, fill the shell with something solid (to retain shape) and blow the primer?

Or is it better to just get regular dummy rounds? I see Brownells has a 5-pack for about $5.

EDIT: Yes, I realize I should blow the primer before putting something in the shell. :D

Edited by 22_Shooter

Just pull the guts out, fill the shell with something solid (to retain shape) and blow the primer?

Or is it better to just get regular dummy rounds? I see Brownells has a 5-pack for about $5.

EDIT: Yes, I realize I should blow the primer before putting something in the shell. :D

Purpose made dummy rounds will not deform like an empty shell would (even if filled). As an added bonus, you're less likely to hear someone say "Your honor, my client thought it wasn't a live shell." :cryss:

Purpose made dummy rounds will not deform like an empty shell would (even if filled). As an added bonus, you're less likely to hear someone say "Your honor, my client thought it wasn't a live shell." :cryss:

I hear ya. I just hate to pay $10 shipping on $5 of product (and I can't think of anything else I need, to add to the order to make it "worth it").

I would mark the shell in some fashion, to indicate that it is indeed a dummy round.

There are snap caps & dummy rounds. Not the same thing. Any of those rounds made form plastic or even aluminum will not hold up when being cycled, so if you are looking for some thing you can actually run through the action for doing failure drills etc, you need to get the type of dummy rounds that are acutally made from real ammo and that have a brass base.

Go to law enforment targets.com & you can look at some dummy ammo, for differnt calibers, inclusing 12 gauge. This it the type of thing you need. Do realize that these are not snap caps & dont' have a feature to protec the firing pin.

These are great for practicing w/ a pump, so you can practice not short stroking. Also, these are good for randomly loading in the magazine of an auto to pratice IA malfunction clearing drills.

There are snap caps & dummy rounds. Not the same thing. Any of those rounds made form plastic or even aluminum will not hold up when being cycled, so if you are looking for some thing you can actually run through the action for doing failure drills etc, you need to get the type of dummy rounds that are acutally made from real ammo and that have a brass base.

Go to law enforment targets.com & you can look at some dummy ammo, for differnt calibers, inclusing 12 gauge. This it the type of thing you need. Do realize that these are not snap caps & dont' have a feature to protec the firing pin.

These are great for practicing w/ a pump, so you can practice not short stroking. Also, these are good for randomly loading in the magazine of an auto to pratice IA malfunction clearing drills.

Yeah, I get the "snap caps vs. dummy rounds" difference. The ones I picked up from Brownells are actual dummy rounds.

They are weighted (with real shot) to replicate the weight of a real round and are of the same dimensions of a 2-3/4" shell. Specifically made for test cycling and the like.

They will be delivered this Thursday (along with some Hogue stuff). Now, I just need my new pump to show up at my FFL's place <_< .

I got some A-Zoom Aluminum 12 G Dummies for my IAC MODEL 87W LEVER ACTION

12G. The extractor does eat up the aluminum rims of this dummy round after a lot of usage.

Not sure what a Saiga would do, as mine in on its way to the Warranty Repair Center for Russian American Armory Company (RAAC).

12G. The extractor does eat up the aluminum rims of this dummy round after a lot of usage.

Not sure what a Saiga would do, as mine in on its way to the Warranty Repair Center for Russian American Armory Company (RAAC).

I bought mine for my pump.

I do have the A-Zoom branded ones in 9mm, though.

so did the ones you ordered have brass base? please describe them and your impressions when you get em. can you post a link to them? I couldn't find anything like that at brownells. i wonder if they make them in 20 gauge.

thats pretty cool, a lever 12 gauge. i'll have a look at it. why r u sending it back?

so did the ones you ordered have brass base? please describe them and your impressions when you get em. can you post a link to them? I couldn't find anything like that at brownells. i wonder if they make them in 20 gauge.

Doesn't look like brass to me, unless it's painted. Kinda looks like the "rim" might be something other than plastic. They'll be here this afternoon, so I'll let you know how they look/feel in person. I figured for $5.71 per 5-pack (with the discount), I might as well pick some up.

Here's the link: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/Search/Produ...l.aspx?pid=6811

(Although Brownells has recently updated their site, and it's much easier to find stuff...........it's still a pain, in comparison to most other vendors. <_< )

BTW, I don't see any 20ga dummy rounds on their site.

Doesn't look like brass to me, unless it's painted. Kinda looks like the "rim" might be something other than plastic. They'll be here this afternoon, so I'll let you know how they look/feel in person. I figured for $5.71 per 5-pack (with the discount), I might as well pick some up.

(Although Brownells has recently updated their site, and it's much easier to find stuff...........it's still a pain, in comparison to most other vendors. <_< )

l_367025512_1.jpg

(Picture from Brownells.com)

Well I got my hands on these dummy rounds yesterday. I can verify that the "brass" is not plastic, like I presumed. I cycled all 5 rounds through my new pump quite a few times, and the brass is starting to show through the black paint.

As far as the feel of them..........they feel just like the real thing (like I said, it's real shot in the shell and even has the lead warning on the packaging), and cycled perfectly through my Pardner.

I just wish they would have left the brass alone, and not painted it. But I supposed it was another safety decision on their part. (As if the big DUMMY printed on the side wasn't a giveaway :lol: )

l_367025512_1.jpg

Well I got my hands on these dummy rounds yesterday. I can verify that the "brass" is not plastic, like I presumed. I cycled all 5 rounds through my new pump quite a few times, and the brass is starting to show through the black paint.

As far as the feel of them..........they feel just like the real thing (like I said, it's real shot in the shell and even has the lead warning on the packaging), and cycled perfectly through my Pardner.

I just wish they would have left the brass alone, and not painted it. But I supposed it was another safety decision on their part. (As if the big DUMMY printed on the side wasn't a giveaway :lol: )

Thanks for the review! Is there somethieng where the primer wold be? I mean, is this thing sort of also a snap cap too? These look better than the bright orange dummy rounds I have b/c they have the lead shot in them, which is a little more realistic. That's not a terrible price for what you get. I see the mfgr is n/a. I sure wish they made them in 20.

l_367025512_1.jpg

Thanks for the review! Is there somethieng where the primer wold be? I mean, is this thing sort of also a snap cap too? These look better than the bright orange dummy rounds I have b/c they have the lead shot in them, which is a little more realistic. That's not a terrible price for what you get. I see the mfgr is n/a. I sure wish they made them in 20.

Yeah, I have no idea who makes these :unsure: .

As for the primer...........it appears to just be a pierced primer. In other words, the firing pin wouldn't be actually touching anything when you dry fire (is it bad to dry fire pump shotguns?)

I took these pics to show how the brass is actually brass (or at least it looks/feels like brass). Keep in mind, the lighting came out weird, and the pictures make it look like a "rust" color. It's not like that. It looks like normal brass color, in person.

P7240140.jpg