I'm up to $650 So Far

When I build anything I try get my end result in the most cost effective way. I never skimp on the quality of the parts.

In the past 2 weeks I have learned a lot about converting Saigas from this forum and other on line venues, and I'm very appreciative of that.

My rifle should arrive on Tuesday. I received or ordered most of the parts I needed for my conversion but some such as the bullet guide, can not be ordered until I have my rifle on hand.

So far I have spent just under $650 for my rifle, parts, shipping, taxes and fees.

It looks like I will spend at least another $200 and if I decide to get a bolt Lower Hand Guard Retainer it could be more.

So when I'm done I could have about $900 into my Saiga. I have been told it will be worth, and I am optimistic that it will be.

Now I just have to be patient and wait for everything to arrive.

So take a look at the parts listed below and let me know if I did ok.

Bear in mind that I am not trying to build a traditional AK.

Here is what I have ordered and still need to order:

post-19535-1248022059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boba Debt

My two cents, If you don't care about the 'traditional AK look' and want to be cost effective, you could save alot of money by getting a saiga specific handguard such as the tapco saiga handguard or many others, then you wouldn't need the gas tube or hand guard retainer.

Also you don't have to have a whole new Front sight block (FSB) (pretty sure you mean front sight block not post) to have a flash hider, you can remove part of the sleave from the factory FSB and thread the barrel, to replace the FSB is supposedly a pretty advanced task.

Good luck, I'm sure your going to enjoy it.

When I build anything I try get my end result in the most cost effective way. I never skimp on the quality of the parts.

In the past 2 weeks I have learned a lot about converting Saigas from this forum and other on line venues, and I'm very appreciative of that.

My rifle should arrive on Tuesday. I received or ordered most of the parts I needed for my conversion but some such as the bullet guide, can not be ordered until I have my rifle on hand.

So far I have spent just under $650 for my rifle, parts, shipping, taxes and fees.

It looks like I will spend at least another $200 and if I decide to get a bolt Lower Hand Guard Retainer it could be more.

So when I'm done I could have about $900 into my Saiga. I have been told it will be worth, and I am optimistic that it will be.

Order your FSB here:

http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main...18eb8b2347138a4

Its $25. That=cheaper than the $90 you have in your spreadsheet.

Order your FSB here:

That's also one of most well-known, shittiest quality manufacturers in the entire world (AK Parts Kits aka Blackthorne aka Hesse aka Vulcan). I'm not sure if they actually manufacture that part or not, but if they do............. :ded:

ultimak upper $99

Ultimak Lower$198

CAA Stock tube $101.99

CAA pistol grip $40.79

Magpul MOE stock $60.00

Spike's Tactical Shorty VFG $20

Primary Arms Micro dot $89.99

MI front sling adapter $30.95

Solartactial AK extended selector tab $12.00

RAM Extended Magazine Release $30.00

Total minus magpul XTMs: 682.72 plus shipping costs

that's $682 for accessories on top of the base cost of the weapon and the replacement FCG

I'll have about $850 worth of parts/material in mine when I finish, plus $160 in SF mags (two of which I'll probably sell once the bullet guide is in--sold one already to pay for the BG).

NOTE: I don't understand why you're doing the gas piston, bolt on handguard retainer, vented gas tube and FSB. Is the stock piston not quality (or do you need it for the AK look?)?

-------------

Saiga $350

FFL fee $30

Pistol grip $25

Ace Folding stock + internal block, etc = $175

Texas double-hook trigger = $40

Surefire tri-rail = $75

= $700

(bullet guide, fsc47 muzzle brake and parts = $150)

+ some sort of sling mount and sling = ?

Yeah you are doing a lot that isnt required for compliance. I picked up a flash suppressor that adapts to the existing FSB. Yes it was much cheaper, rock solid, works well and can be removed easily if I go somewhere that doesn't allow them. But its your rifle so make yourself happy just sounds like you were a little surprised at the expense.

ultimak upper $99

Ultimak Lower$198

CAA Stock tube $101.99

CAA pistol grip $40.79

Magpul MOE stock $60.00

Spike's Tactical Shorty VFG $20

Primary Arms Micro dot $89.99

MI front sling adapter $30.95

Solartactial AK extended selector tab $12.00

RAM Extended Magazine Release $30.00

Total minus magpul XTMs: 682.72 plus shipping costs

that's $682 for accessories on top of the base cost of the weapon and the replacement FCG

ultimak ftw!

Hey Boba Debt,

$900 is about the average "quality parts" upgrade price. You should be able to get your return on investment.

Are you saying that my choices were wise?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order your FSB here: http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main...18eb8b2347138a4

Thanks for the info

What's the deal with the 24-1.5mm right hand threads on the front?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why you're doing the gas piston, bolt on handguard retainer, vented gas tube and FSB. Is the stock piston not quality (or do you need it for the AK look?)?

I did the gas piston because it gives me another compliance part for $15. I know you only need to get it down to 10 but why not go lower for a few bucks. Down the road, I might decide to install foreign made furniture and use foreign mags. By having the FCG and the piston installed I will still be in compliance.

The bolt on (or pressed on) Hand Guard Retainer and Gas Tube are needed to install standard AK hand guards. I hate the look of the Saiga style hand guards and wanted the option to use any available AK style hand guard.

I am replacing the FSB for 2 reasons. 1 To make it easier to thread the barrel. 2. I want a Bayonet Lug.

But if bigsal's info pans out I will save a lot of money.

Yeah you are doing a lot that isnt required for compliance. I picked up a flash suppressor that adapts to the existing FSB. Yes it was much cheaper, rock solid, works well and can be removed easily if I go somewhere that doesn't allow them. But its your rifle so make yourself happy just sounds like you were a little surprised at the expense.

I'm actually surprised this has been so cheap. I really thought I would be in the $1000 range and now I might get down to the $800s

I am interested in the Flash Suppressor you used, please post a link.

Hey Boba Debt,

$900 is about the average "quality parts" upgrade price. You should be able to get your return on investment.

all but your stock choice. it's the most butt ugly stock setup i've ever put eyes on

Hey Boba Debt,

all but your stock choice. it's the most butt ugly stock setup i've ever put eyes on

Boba Debt,

I'm saying that when people start customizing their Saiga's to their preference, the cost is usually between $800 - $1000 dollars. If you should decide to sell it, $900 is about your break even point. This is were we get into the "Should I buy stock and convert or buy an already converted gun" debate begins. I believe you've been there and done that :smoke: .

I actually like the look of that stock :haha:

Plus it matches the hand guard which I thought was cool.

I shot M-16s the entire time I was in the Corps so I really prefer the M-16/M-4 style stock and this one was a folder which was important to me.

Heres the links

Flash sup

Muzzle clip

Functions perfect and allows me to remove it and have no threads on the barrel for those places that want to put you in jail for no good reason. Looks decent also if that matters to you. Whole thing costs less than 50.00.

Edited by Rhodes1968

If you are at all able to do the work yourself, you do not want one of the DPH clip devices. Install the FSB I linked to above. Forum member "Imarangemaster" has a tutorial on how to take off the FSB and add one of these units. Use the search feature.

Order your FSB here:

That's also one of most well-known, shittiest quality manufacturers in the entire world (AK Parts Kits aka Blackthorne aka Hesse aka Vulcan). I'm not sure if they actually manufacture that part or not, but if they do............. :ded:

22_Shooter:> They are Bulgarian FSBs. They are the same units K-var sells but for 1/3 the price.

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far.

I was able to get the FSB and Flash Hider for $81 shipped and I picked up a Yugo Lower Hand Guard Retainer for $13 shipped

My original estimates put those parts at $185 so I saved $91.

I feel that I had found the best prices on the parts I already ordered (when you include shipping) so overall I am very happy with the amount of money I am investing in this rifle.

NOW, if I could only find a vented gas tube .......

Edited by Boba Debt

Order your FSB here:

22_Shooter:> They are Bulgarian FSBs. They are the same units K-var sells but for 1/3 the price.

OK, like I said, I didn't know if it was a part they actually manufacture or just sell. Stay far away from parts they actually make.

Heres the links

Flash sup

Muzzle clip

Functions perfect and allows me to remove it and have no threads on the barrel for those places that want to put you in jail for no good reason. Looks decent also if that matters to you. Whole thing costs less than 50.00.

I was looking at that muzzle attachment clip a couple days ago as a cheaper solution to having to take my Saiga to a gunsmith to have my rifle barrel threaded so I can get a muzzle break.

Is the Dpharms Phantom device a flash suppressor or a muzzle break? The title of the product calls it a flash hider, but the description of the product calls it a muzzle break.

I live in New Jersey so I can't have a flash hider

Man, you guys are so picky.

Its a freaking AK, I am just going to convert the gun with a G2 trigger group, some cheap fixed stock (even the Tapco one), Tapco pistol grip, some bullet guide, and call it good.

It will function fine for a lot cheaper than a 900 overall rifle.

I paid about 250 for my rifle (it was 350 but I kept the 8x12 PSOP scope that was on it for my Saiga 308) and then the parts shouldn't add much more than 200 to the overall price.

May not be the prettiest thing around but sure functional.

Heres the links

Flash sup

Muzzle clip

I was looking at that muzzle attachment clip a couple days ago as a cheaper solution to having to take my Saiga to a gunsmith to have my rifle barrel threaded so I can get a muzzle break.

Is the Dpharms Phantom device a flash suppressor or a muzzle break? The title of the product calls it a flash hider, but the description of the product calls it a muzzle break.

I live in New Jersey so I can't have a flash hider

Its a flash suppressor only. No vents are positioned for recoil.

It reduces flash by at least 75% on a 16" barrel and as I said can be removed or installed in seconds leaving no trace it was ever installed. Some state laws nail you if only the treads exist and so I see that as reason enough considering its also cheaper and works just as well. If aesthetics is your thing fine, Im more of a practical guy.

I looks like I'm going to do this for under $800 :)

post-19535-1248197970_thumb.jpg

Good job :dollar: . The bullet guide will be mandatory if you want to use other than Saiga specific magazines. So add another $50 at least for scope. A good reddot scope for quick target acquisition maybe in order too. I tested my red/green dot this past weekend at 35-40yds. with the stock folded. I was very please with the result.

Here is the one I use - A1 Optic 2x 42mm .