I'm a dumb ass and can't get the dust cover back on my rifle

There's a cusp-shaped groove on the rear sight block that the front of the dust cover fits into. Make sure the dust cover is properly aligned at the front then line up the rear of the dust cover so that the hole in the dust cover's rear aligns with the cover lock at the rear of the recoil spring. Smack the rear of the dust cover down and forward and the cover should snap on. Takes a little practice at first.

Welcome to the forum!

Well you can stick the front end in the slot while holding it forward press down and it should pop on there don't let it come out of its slot on the front trunion and just hold pressure while pushing it down

The little button sticking out of the dust cover attached to the gas piston and return spring is spring loaded. You can push it in, making room for the dust cover to return back to it's original position and when it clears the little hole, it pops right out keeping the dust cover in place.

Hope that helps.

Well if you can't perform a simple little chore like that, you probably had issues with getting the bolt carrier back in to! What the hell is it with these newbies!??! Seriuosly, I hope I never have to enter some "put the bolt cover back on as quick as possible" contest. I'm still wondering why there wern't instructions or warnings for my wire folding stock. If this thing would have been invented in the U.S., there would have been enough lawyer tags on it to keep me from ripping chuncks of skin off every time I open/close it. Every time! I'm a slow learner.

you would be surprised at how fast some of us can drill with these guns, dude.

what I do, is CLEAR THE WEAPON.

THEN

I put the MUZZLE to the floor, on the floor, mount the front of the dust cover to the firearm....then you kinda get it "right there" and give it a whack. I can also do this off my shoulder, but do not recommend you trying this dissassembly/reassembly routine for a long time.

when you learn how to do it better, you wont need a 3rd plane (the floor) to help you do it.

push forward, and down, and if it dont go, smack it once with your open palm on the end. fail? restart.

you shouldnt have to smack it down and onto the top of the receiver with much force, at all. Just watch how you do it the first couple times you put it back together, and you'll be fine.......you dont need a hammer.....

I guess I will have to take a boneheaded lesson video or two for the newbs here. We owe it to these new users to at least explain it to them, no?

Well if you can't perform a simple little chore like that, you probably had issues with getting the bolt carrier back in to! What the hell is it with these newbies!??! Seriuosly, I hope I never have to enter some "put the bolt cover back on as quick as possible" contest. I'm still wondering why there wern't instructions or warnings for my wire folding stock. If this thing would have been invented in the U.S., there would have been enough lawyer tags on it to keep me from ripping chuncks of skin off every time I open/close it. Every time! I'm a slow learner.

Calm down maybe?

The shoulder thing sounds awesome!

For the rest of us with 12 thumbs, I like to brace the front end of the dust cover in its groove. I get a punch awl, screw driver, key, or something and put it through the square opening on the other end of the dust cover to press against the spring clip. This way I can lower the cover onto the spring pin while keeping everything in alignment. First time I did the dust cover, it took forever and I was frustrating. I find that using a poking object to help with the dust cover makes it all go a lot faster.

Hang in there.

Welcome to the forum! No your are not a dumb ass this is just a simple learning exercise. Pull up a chair and watch this video of how Cajun women from the south do it.

Slow version:

Quick version:

Enjoy,

Yakdung

:D

My x39 needed a little bending in on the rear of the dust cover to fit back on properly. After several whacks with a hammer it goes on perfectly. Try lining it up without the spring installed and see if you have the same problem I had.