saiga JAMMING! :-(

My saiga, using the stock mag, will jam on the first or maybe second round, the bolt ejects the spent round, starts to feed the next round 80% of the way (maybe 1 1/2" left until it would be closed), but the bottom of the bolt scrapes hard against the top of the next round and pushes it forward enough so it's nose starts to rise out of the magazine and jams the gun. I'll see if I can bring a digital camera with me to the range and see if I can take a close up of it when it happens, and of the top of gouged round from the top of the magazine.

I've cleaned the gun thoroughly (especially the magazine catch area, as I though that mag might be "sitting to high" in the gun) and oiled the bottom of the bolt, and still does this every couple of magazines. Anyone else had this problem? I don't know if I should order another mag or what.

Edited by smonska

SOunds like one of my AK mags... I had to dremel the INSIDE EDGES of the magazine, as the follower wasnt feeding SMOOTHLY... it was binding on the edges...

Check THAT... also check the follower to be sure its SMOOTH....

Dunno if thats QUITE whats happening with yours, but from the description it sure sounds like it to me...

good luck, bro...

:smoke:

Hmm, crazy thought here.

Maybe Century bought a bunch of ak parts kits, and 10 round mags and all the spare saiga stock sets they could find, and are now selling Century Saiga parts guns, just like their cetme line. Maybe Smonska got one of those.

But in all seriousness, it's probably the magazine.

• 4 years later...

My Saiga became a jamamatic, previously it worked flawlessly. I asked a friend who built a few AKs what went wrong. He saw it and asked me when the last time I cleaned it was and I did not remember. He said clean it and see if that will solve the problem and I noticed the bolt closed better after cleaning and the action moves smoother. It shot it yesterday and if functioned like an AK should and the accuracy was back the way it was. I think it was more than three years ago since it got a good cleaning after shooting dirty Russian ammo.