stok: its a 1941 walther made P38 second version. it is the last high polish version of the p38 in ww2, serial # and ac-41 put it 100% sure in 1941, i would guess made in the fall of 41 at the walther plant. it has nazi proof house mark (359 under eagle), so does the mag, they look good, and from your story behind it, i believe it to be the original magazine for it. Your granddaddy picked it up in battle, so there is no reason to think the mag isnt matching. I would also say from the pictures that it is easily 90% condition, probably 95%+ as I dont see any real wear in the pictures, although there is tiny blemeshes in the blueing.

I would value it without a matching holster at about 1600$ US for 95%, +250$ for 98% which it very well may be, as i dont see much finish wear on it, but i do see a few small rust spots. you would get a premium from a collector, as it is in fabulous shape, so at auction it would fetch more, possibly around 2,000$.

Very very nice piece stok. How it came into your family, I would recommend keeping it, or if you cannot, donate it to a museum, as it really is in spectacular shape man....

The holster is not original. It was made for a Luger. But if i rememner right it is one of thre more rare brown holsters. I was told it could be worth around $150 and the little tool inside it for disassemly I was told could be worth about $40.

Thanks for all the info Bvamp.

• 3 weeks later...