best iron sights?

My first Saiga 12 is on it's way to my FFL and I'm collecting parts for the conversion. My question is about sights. I am going to be using a Chaos quadrail forearm. I like the look of the bolt on front sights. Does anyone sell a rear sight that can attach to the chaos top rail and will work with the bolt on front sights???

My first Saiga 12 is on it's way to my FFL and I'm collecting parts for the conversion. My question is about sights. I am going to be using a Chaos quadrail forearm. I like the look of the bolt on front sights. Does anyone sell a rear sight that can attach to the chaos top rail and will work with the bolt on front sights???

I'm pretty sure the bolt on front sights are too low for something like this to work...

Have you looked at the possibility of BUIS?

I think the OP is talking about using BUIS or at least IS.

What is being referred to as "bolt on" sights, I think it is "rail mounted" sights that is being asked about.

Here's the problem with trying to do that using the Chaos. The Chaos rail in its current form is too short. If you use AR type rail mounted sights on both the front and rear of the rail, you'll have a very short sight radius. However, Cameron at Chaos is coming out with a new top rail that extends further back towards the receiver and it may be possible to do it with the newer top rail.

Your other option is to get a very tall FSB from Dinzag and a very short rail mounted peep sight or ghost ring and hopefully there is enough room in adjustment that would line them both up. Just to warn you, this isn't cheap because you'll pay almost $100 for the front and rear each. Don't consider any of the airsoft crap on ebay.

Your final and most inexpensive option is to just drop the idea of having irons and get a good inexpensive red dot and mount it on the Chaos. Seriously, this is a shotgun so accuaracy is not key. However, if it is then you should be looking at a rifle.

I was thinking along the lines of a front sight set up like this....

154978.jpg

I see that dinzag arms has both "short and tall" front sight blocks for S12s...I guess my question is, would either be compatible with the chaos quad rail.

I apologize for the noobness of the question....it's amplified by the fact that I have neither the gun nor the forearm or sights in front of me... :(

Edited by jekbrown

I have similar concerns: I have a rail on the rear cover and one on the gas block. I wanted the tall Dinzag sight in front of the gas block and a rail-mounted HK rear, but the Dinzag is not tall enough. An AR set would work with my 2 rails, but overall too tall. I'd prefer iron sights for most applications, though the holo sight I have now is pretty good.

100_5321.jpg

100_5322.jpg

Edited by mister freeze

On my mossberg 500, which I can shoot plenty accurate enough, I just use the original bead site. Works great for me. In the Marines I used irons out to 500m with beat-to-hell / near-smooth-bore M16A2s...no problem. Bling optics aren't of that much interest to me. The good ones are expensive as hell (ACOG etc) and I'd rather just have more guns / ammo / loading stuff than cool optics. :ph34r: As with all things, 'to each their own'. I like iron sights...

Edited by jekbrown
The Krebs front sight is like that, but a little taller than the Russian clamp on front sight. It also uses a ghost ring that replaces the factory V notch rear sight.

Their about half way down the page. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...ARTS/Categories

Can somebody with the Krebs Saiga 12 Combat Sights measure its dimensions and post them up. It would be nice to know what the post height is, etc.

TIA

154978.jpg

I see that dinzag arms has both "short and tall" front sight blocks for S12s...I guess my question is, would either be compatible with the chaos quad rail.

I apologize for the noobness of the question....it's amplified by the fact that I have neither the gun nor the forearm or sights in front of me... :(

If you notice, the gas block in your pic is of the AK type with a rear sight leaf like the rifle. The standard S12 does not have this. However, if you want it Dinzag offers the AK type gas block but it isn't cheap. Also, if you do that, you can no longer consider the Chaos because it won't fit with the AK gas block.

On the note about sights on the dust cover, if you check with Naolith, the issue is that the dust cover is not stable with heavy optics such as a red dot. However it is okay with just simple irons which are smaller and lightweight. Ask any expert here and they'll tell you that the dustcover is not a good place for any optic but irons are okay.

Bottom line, if you have to have irons and you don't need the quad then get:

1. Krebs rear peep and FSB
    or
  2. Dinzag press-on gas block and FSB

154978.jpg

If you notice, the gas block in your pic is of the AK type with a rear sight leaf like the rifle. The standard S12 does not have this. However, if you want it Dinzag offers the AK type gas block but it isn't cheap. Also, if you do that, you can no longer consider the Chaos because it won't fit with the AK gas block.

On the note about sights on the dust cover, if you check with Naolith, the issue is that the dust cover is not stable with heavy optics such as a red dot. However it is okay with just simple irons which are smaller and lightweight. Ask any expert here and they'll tell you that the dustcover is not a good place for any optic but irons are okay.

Bottom line, if you have to have irons and you don't need the quad then get:

1. Krebs rear peep and FSB
    or
  2. Dinzag press-on gas block and FSB

My holo site isn't too heavy. Besides, it's a shotty, how stable would it have to be? I'd like iron sights because a) they don't need batteries and B) they are more durable.

I agree on the most part, but in the Army we only had to shoot out to 300 meters.

BTW, the stock saiga sites are so close to each other, the gun would be a lot more accurate with the front site near the muzzle.

On my mossberg 500, which I can shoot plenty accurate enough, I just use the original bead site. Works great for me. In the Marines I used irons out to 500m with beat-to-hell / near-smooth-bore M16A2s...no problem. Bling optics aren't of that much interest to me. The good ones are expensive as hell (ACOG etc) and I'd rather just have more guns / ammo / loading stuff than cool optics. :ph34r: As with all things, 'to each their own'. I like iron sights...