I want to convert Saiga rifles for a profit..

I bought an x39 and just converted/restored (basic). Cost was like $100 parts and the rifle ($389 at time)

I feel confident I could do this and make $125-150 on each one on top of the parts needed and still be under $750 per se.

If I buy a rifle and then hold for say 2 weeks, modify and then sell is there an issue??

(not selling on here folks, so no worries unless I hit it BIG money $$)

Just asking as I see conversions costing $250 and + parts from some of our vendors and WOW!! A little steep. IMHO.

Opinions.. Legal issues...???

Don't see any if I own, hold, then sell later...

Edited by YouWontHearItComing

This has bean asked before.

Unless you have an FFL, it doesn't matter how long you own a gun, if you bought it for purposes of resale.

Not a good idea (and you've provided intent with this thread).

Thank you for the legal side and quick answer. Could not find on here with search function.

Do you need an FFL to modify/repair customer rifles???? And what if I have the rifle less than 24 hours literally??

Like FedX into my FFL, and I FedX out to the customer FFL within 24 hours....

I'm in PA if that helps.

Edited by YouWontHearItComing
Thank you for the legal side and quick answer. Could not find on here with search function.

Do you need an FFL to modify/repair customer rifles???? And what if I have the rifle less than 24 hours literally??

Like FedX into my FFL, and I FedX out to the customer FFL within 24 hours....

I'm in PA if that helps.

There is no time limit. If you buy it for the purpose of resale, and sell it in 5 minutes, or 50 years, you've violated the law.

If you work on it at your FFL's place of business, that's between you and the FFL holder, as it's not leaving his books (IOW, you're not "purchasing" it). I"m quite sure the FFL holder will want a piece of your pie, though.

If the owner stays with you while you do the work, under federal law, that is legal, too.

Nalioth is dead on; if you purchase a weapon for yourself, and later decide to sell it, you're not doing anything illegal, regardless of how much time and effort you've put into improving its value, no matter what sort of profit you make in the end. But when it is done to provide a source of income, it becomes illegal.

Regarding gunsmithing, I've heard a lot of conflicting stories. I know a gunsmith who is not a licensee; he said it is perfectly legal so long as he doesn't buy or sell weapons as part of his business, nor manufacture weapons. What he says he was told by the ATF (now heard by you third-hand, so it ain't gospel) was that it was fine, but he should become an FFL if he was primarily assembling weapons (not manufacturing, mind), and that he must become an FFL to handle Class III items.

Contrarily, I've also been told that anyone who works as a gunsmith for profit must be a licensee. I've also heard that federal law allows a non-licensee to operate as a gunsmith, but some states do not allow it

I am not a legal scholar or lawyer, and I am merely passing on hearsay; take it as you will. The most useful advice I can offer you is to peruse the ATF website and/or consult an attorney.

You might consider getting an FFL and looking into the legalities of doing it the ligit way. The penalties and costs involved with getting caught are quite severe and would easily wipe out any profit you had made, not to mention eliminate your own ability to own a firearm.

Just saying...

I quoted the actual laws on this a few months ago.

Not only are you breaking the law, if you "engage in the repair or modification to firearms for principal purpose of profit", but when you convert a gun from its factory configuration and remanufacture it to a configuration that changes the weapon (such as in pistol gripping the gun without it being readily able to go BACK to how it came out of the box), well, you enter in a tax problem if you are charging people to do this work.

You'll find the laws a little easier if you look for "federal excise tax".

I dont know which one would be scarier, the BATF seizing your home and everything in it, or the tax man doing the same. From what I hear, the tax man doesnt give plea bargains.....

• 4 weeks later...