Will Manually Cycling Ammo hurt it

Will Manually Cycling Ammo hurt it

I was told that AK "mark" ammo and make the casing unusable.

Is this true of Saigas?

I would like to test the function of my gun before i fire it and would like to manually run some ammo through it

Edited by Boba Debt

As long as you assume that something will go wrong and the rifle will slam fire and are prepared for that then fine. Yes I know its extremely rare but to sit in you apt and cycle live ammo is how people wind up on CNN. That stuff will go though floors much more so several walls. I just dont do it and if I must test then use snap caps. It is so dam easy to make a life changing mistake...

I've seen post before about the firing pin dimpling the primers when hand cycling ammo. Then after repeatedly using the same rounds, one went off. I use snap caps or spent rounds that are filled with sand with no gun powder or primer.

+1! No live ammo cycling - that's just stupid.

I made dummy rounds from duds - got a bad batch of brass surplus ammo and cycling that stuff is very useful.

Well, I have to pay $10 and drive 30 minutes to use a range ad that's a bit excessive to see if my bolt will operate.

I have a 1.5 acre yard and when I cycled the ammo I kept the gun pointed at the ground so I wasn't unsafe or stupid.

You guy make it sound like if the bolt goes home on a live round theres a 50/50% chance the gun will fire.

I have a lot of guns and this was never a concern with them.

Well, I have to pay $10 and drive 30 minutes to use a range ad that's a bit excessive to see if my bolt will operate.

I have a 1.5 acre yard and when I cycled the ammo I kept the gun pointed at the ground so I wasn't unsafe or stupid.

You guy make it sound like if the bolt goes home on a live round theres a 50/50% chance the gun will fire.

Take from it what you will. I meant no more and no less than what I posted. What you do with the info posted here is your choice.

I don't know what other guns you were refering to that you own. If they have a floating fire pin, and you chamber a live round repetedly, I think there is a chance eventually it will go off. Another possability is causing bullet set back at some point when rechambering live ammo in an auto loader.

I don't mean to tell you what to do, or be condesending. If you're old enough to own firearms, then hopefully your old enough to make decisions yourself. It might not be a bad idea to ask yourself why it was never a concern for you with your other guns before. I only mean to share info that might be usefull to you and others in some good way.

When I was in highschool one of they nicest kids I ever met, who was an honor student also, was at home cleaning his gun after going hunting. His sister was siting on the bed in the same room talking to him when the gun went off, resulting in a 9 year old little girl being shot in the head. He was sure it was completely unloaded because he counted the shells as he cycled the action. He didn't check the chamber, because no one advised him to do so.

I hate to find that someone was injured just because they didn't know...

You don't have to pay $10 nor drive 30 minutes to safely cycle ammo to check function. Get some dummy rounds (which are a bit different than "snap caps". Snap caps are meant for dry firing, dummy rounds are made to the same weight/size of a live round, to test cycling an action).

I don't think anyone here is saying that there's a 50/50 chance of chambering a round, and it going off. The odds are obviously far less. The point is, why risk it? Get some dummy rounds and be done with it. They're cheap enough.

You said you tested the action with live ammo in your 1.5 acre plot, while pointed at the ground. While I agree that your chances are something unsafe happening in that specific situation are pretty much nil............do you have neighbors close by? If so, are they close enough to land you in a legal hotspot if that round(s) did go off? Where I live, one has to be at least 500ft from a house (that is not your own, or don't have permission to be shooting near) to discharge a firearm.

Either way, I think tacking on a pack of dummy rounds to your next online order, or picking some up locally would be a good thing.

Just my $.02.

I would have probably used dummy rounds if they were available in this area but they weren't and I didn't want to wait a week or so for an online order.

This is all a mute point because I was able fit my bolt to my bullet guide ramp and now the gun cycles better the when the bolt hit the original rivet