new 308 problem, barrel bent?

I have a new saiga 308 that made a trip to the range with a new Nikon scope (3x9 40mm) on a UTG 978 side mount and a laser bore site.

I mounted the scope and put the laser in the barrel muzzle, and the laser was way low left, adjusted the scope to max and it just hit the laser with the cross hair.

Then I looked down the iron sites and the laser is way low left also.

Next I put the scope and mount on a SVD tiger I had with me and put the laser in and adjusted the scope back to center and shot it fine. laser and iron sites are very close on tiger.

The iron front site on saiga is off center to right a lot.

Could the barrel be bent?

I did not shoot the saiga, I thought that it may be better if I need to take it back.

thanks

Edited by padkychas

I doubt the barrel is bent. I have found the best way to sight a rifle in is to set up a 4 foot square cardboard target at 25 yards. Shoot 1 shot, adjust scope to be about 3 inches high and centered. Move target to 50 yards and shoot one more shot, adjust scope to be 2 inches high and centered. move to 100 yards and fire a 3 shot group, adjust scope to finish. 5 shots total and 15 minutes (depending on how busy the range is). Everytime I have seen people use a laser bore sighter the point of impact is still way off, maybe they are not using it correctly, who knows.

I've had no bent barrels so far show up for warranty , but a few with the front sight canted, (all to the left)........ :rolleyes:

Also the bore type bore sighter is prone to being misleading on these guns due to the front sight body covering the crown of the weapon, it sort of covers the muzzle if you look close the front sight body is not always true..

Also, it could be the harmonics and circular motion of the end of the barrel at the moment that the bullet leaves the muzzle is not true to what a laser on a static barrel woud show. Imagine a barrel crown rotating around an axis and somwewhere from the 12:00 postion to probably somehwere at 11:55 you never "exactly" know wherer that crown is at the very moment that the bullet exits the muzzle. Hence, handloading, powder changes, burn rates, crimp, bullet size, bullet configuration (flat base or boat tail) how much boat tail if latter, and on and on. Key is to get the barrel in the same spot every time the bullet exits the barrel. Barrel is not bent, and bore site is probably working ok, it's just that where the bore is, and where the bullet impact are not on the same page.

Those bore sights dont work well on the Saiga 308 due to the FSB. Just get the ones that chamber, more accurate anyway and you would be surprised how well the 308 works on others sizes also. I got just the 308 since this my only scoped longer range rifle, and found it works real well on my Mosin also. The 7.62x39 is just too short ranged to spend the money.