OFF with FSG..finally

Finally got time to fool with .223 FSG. FSG was canted too much. 4"angler, with thin blade to it. Sliced down (FSG down both sides...didn't care about savin it...to just touchin barel in a few spots. ..pin grooves are deeper. Pushed off with fingers...no problem. WHAT NEXT!!! This 223 will be scoped most of the time....BUT...scope is QR. Like the idea of using it for CQ (room size)too. ...optic off. . Don't like AK sights (for CQ) anyway...have a HK FSG I can make work...lookin for suggestions. To make the HK group work will take time and effor.,,would rather do do some sort of AK74/AR comprimise. Barrel OD sight group spot is ~15mm. My HK group is too tight and will need reaming/pressing. And I'll have to figure windage till I modify rear sight.

Finally got time to fool with .223 FSG. FSG was canted too much. 4"angler, with thin blade to it. Sliced down (FSG down both sides...didn't care about savin it...to just touchin barel in a few spots. ..pin grooves are deeper. Pushed off with fingers...no problem. WHAT NEXT!!! This 223 will be scoped most of the time....BUT...scope is QR. Like the idea of using it for CQ (room size)too. ...optic off. . Don't like AK sights (for CQ) anyway...have a HK FSG I can make work...lookin for suggestions. To make the HK group work will take time and effor.,,would rather do do some sort of AK74/AR comprimise. Barrel OD sight group spot is ~15mm. My HK group is too tight and will need reaming/pressing. And I'll have to figure windage till I modify rear sight.

Google for ak parts kit and get the ak 74 FSB. You'll like it because it will give you a bayonet lug and 24 mm threads. You can put on a 74 style break. It will be sweet looking. Just my 2 c. But if it the FSB was pinned in a canted position then the pins were in a bad spot and the next FSB wil be canted as well correct?

the 223 barrels can have one of 2 sizes. if you have a 0.571" it is the standard size and the 74's will fit no prob. some have a larger 0.591" (like mine does) and you will need a larger one. Dinzagarms usually has one but i think they are currently out of stock on the larger.

Thanks knight & GregM1...3x checked diameter. End of barrel is .594"; between pin grooves is .595" and barrel just past FSB is .625"....YO YO YO am I "BULL BARREL" qualifed??? Too bad it is a shorty....EAA 03 import. From what I have read and video'd an AK74 type FSG would be nice. My x39 is supposed to be my #1 CQ out to 100m piece. This one is supposed to be my 100 to 300m piece....usually scoped. The factory skeleton stock lends it to the Dragunov look too...Got slightly less than 6" gropups at 200yds with it using 62g Brown Bear from bench....with 6x40 QR scope.

But CQ capability is valued.

electrons, I used a Craftsman 4" angle grinder with a 4"metal cutting wheel. Just laid the rifle flat and solid on rag pile with a fairly wet rag towel under where the barrel was....they'll be lots of sparks. Use really good lighting because the metal cutting wheel will go thru the front sight group easily...you don't want to reach the barrel. Go lite to start...eye protection is a good idea. A couple swipes on each side...down the length of the FS was pretty much all it took. I went thru to the barrel and nicked it in a few spots....cosmetic, no where near as deep as the pin grooves. I thought I was gonna have to tap it off...but when I held the top of the sight and wiggled...it came right off. So you may be able go 1/2 or 3/4 thru and wiggle...not nicking the barrel like I did. Good luck. I had an HK type FSG ready to go....now I want to do the muzzle brake set up.