16 barrel muzzle break / flash supressor

I have an 03 EAA 16" barrel (.595" OD at the bore) that had a bad front sight group...which has now been replaced. With this barrel I'm guessing the easiest way to put a muzzle brake on it, is with a screw down type adapter, threaded end at LH 14/1...then go with an AK74 brake. I have less than a hundred rnds thru this and mostly scoped from bench. Recoil doesn't seam like much...but if I can make follow up shots easier and quicker with a muzzle break...that would be good. Also, I will be taking the scope off occasionally and doing some CQ type plinking. What are the +/- of muzzle brake / flash supressor for scope vs close quarters multi rnd bursts? All info greatly appreciated. I have not been to the range at night, so have never fired a rifle at night. I have used red goggles with pistol before ...but never any sort of flash supressor,,,is night firing what they are designed for?

I have an 03 EAA 16" barrel (.595" OD at the bore) that had a bad front sight group...which has now been replaced. With this barrel I'm guessing the easiest way to put a muzzle brake on it, is with a screw down type adapter, threaded end at LH 14/1...then go with an AK74 brake. I have less than a hundred rnds thru this and mostly scoped from bench. Recoil doesn't seam like much...but if I can make follow up shots easier and quicker with a muzzle break...that would be good. Also, I will be taking the scope off occasionally and doing some CQ type plinking. What are the +/- of muzzle brake / flash supressor for scope vs close quarters multi rnd bursts? All info greatly appreciated. I have not been to the range at night, so have never fired a rifle at night. I have used red goggles with pistol before ...but never any sort of flash supressor,,,is night firing what they are designed for?

You have you remember a brake on a .223 is just plain painful with out ear plugs. Also a muzzle break is different from a flash hider. A muzzle break makes a bigger flash at night then just a plane barrel.

Thanks for the reply... looks like the quick, easy solution for this piece is a barrel adapter, 1:14LH and a AK74 type brake. I see several of each available at reasonable prices. What I don't understand is how some of the advertisements for the AK74 brake say 7.62x39. I thought an AK74 was for the 5.45 round??? Isn't a 7.62 bullet too big??? So they should be appropriate for a Saiga .223... right?

You have you remember a brake on a .223 is just plain painful with out ear plugs. Also a muzzle break is different from a flash hider. A muzzle break makes a bigger flash at night then just a plane barrel.

Bingo. Please try your rifle without a brake. For many folks, recoil/muzzle rise on a 5.56 is no big deal. Really. Also please keep in mind that many brakes will damage your hearing (by directing the propellant gasses back at you - which is how they work), if you are not wearing suitable hearing protection.

I think I have spent more $ on quality muzzle brakes (including multiple JP Enterprises brakes - still the best, in my opinion ;>), on rifles in multiple calibers, than most shooters. And I no longer use them - with the exception of my Saiga. I currently have a cheap DPMS AR break on my Saiga, because it looks 'Soviet' (nothing but round holes on top), and sends most of the muzzle blast (& noise) down range. Pointing the muzzle blast & noise at the other guy is more important to me, than trying to reduce the minimal recoil of a 5.56.

Obviously, folks who use their 5.56s in competition or combat may have other points of view.

FWIW...

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know about the noise/blast issue with muzzle devices...having never fired a rifle with one before. I have a little experience and a few metal working tools at my disposal. And will probably do some threading work, conversion work and custom modifying for my own purposes eventually. I just don't have the time or money now to get into things full bore....but it will be fun someday. For now, the quick cheap stuff...just to scratch the surface will have to do....the learning curves has started...I like the Saiga....my AR buddies are in for touble :rolleyes: . Thanks again for responses.