Would it be possible to make a custom handguard from KYDEX that will not melt when firing? I am not sure what the tolerances are and have not had any luck with finding it on the web. It seems to me that if a heatgun will get hot enough to melt it a little to mold it then the heat from a gas tube would do about the same. I was not sure so thought I would ask and see if anyone here could give me an answer.

Kydex would be a pretty poor choice. I can't recall how hot you need to get it to form, but when I do knife sheaths and stuff, it's not so hot that I can't touch it. I have had to beat my stock forearm off my gas block due to meltage. Might work with some kind of heat shield though.

Kydex would be a pretty poor choice. I can't recall how hot you need to get it to form, but when I do knife sheaths and stuff, it's not so hot that I can't touch it. I have had to beat my stock forearm off my gas block due to meltage. Might work with some kind of heat shield though.

Are there different heat ratings for different KYDEX types?

I'd be worried about Kydex heating up too much from a really extended f/a session.

For the average shooter, it might work fine.

Problem will be finding sheets that are thick enough.

That was what I was thinking, that if your barrel or gas tube got really hot from firing a lot then the KYDEX might start to lose its shape. I was not sure though if there are kinds of KYDEX that have different heat tolerances that would allow for that type of heat durability.

• 3 weeks later...

hi temp kydex thermoforms @ 325 to 390. Not the stuff I make sheaths out of. Probably would work, but I still wouldn't want it in contact with gas tube or gas block.

Kydex thermoforms at 390 degrees Fahrenheit. That's for great detail and sharp bends. I can tell you from experience that Kydex will soften & bend at temperatures much lower than that, say 250 degrees Fahrenheit. The thickness of the Kydex matters. .06 kydex will flop at 200 degrees while .125 will still be stiff. If you could get some really thick stuff, say .25 or greater, you could conceivably make a hand guard from that. It might work, but first I would go and blast 100 or more rounds indoors and measure your barrel surface temperature with a thermometer that can measure 400 degrees or more. If the temps were 200 degrees or less, you might pull it off.

PM me if you want to give it a try. I can help you source the super-thick kydex and give you tips on the forming of the guard.