Has anyone tried the new Hornady Tap 7.62x39?

Heard this ammo is either just out or is coming out very soon. They partnered with a russian company to send over the steel casings and installed the tap bullet. They will also be coming out with a 5.45....

I am looking for a box now and if any of you run across some and can do an accuracy compairison I would love to know the results.

Thanks,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

There was an outfit about a year and a half ago that was loading brass cases with the Hornady bullet. Very popular with deer hunters in MO who came to the shop I worked part time at. We sold cases of the stuff. I saw some pics of very large bucks that it took out with one shot!

I've made my own 7.62x39 varmint ammo by pulling down milsurp FMJ and loading 123 grain Speer TNT's over the same charge. Safe to shoot and has great terminal ballistics, but due to the .308 bullet diameter the accuracy is less than ideal.

Looking at Hornady's website and catalog, I don't see any .310" or .311" V-max bullets. If they're making factory loads, how come they're not selling components yet? All they have is 123 gr soft points

Edited by aresv
I've made my own 7.62x39 varmint ammo by pulling down milsurp FMJ and loading 123 grain Speer TNT's over the same charge. Safe to shoot and has great terminal ballistics, but due to the .308 bullet diameter the accuracy is less than ideal.

Looking at Hornady's website and catalog, I don't see any .310" or .311" V-max bullets. If they're making factory loads, how come they're not selling components yet? All they have is 123 gr soft points

So it's typically safe to use a bullet of similar weight as long as the diameter is equal or less and the OAL is the same?

So it's typically safe to use a bullet of similar weight as long as the diameter is equal or less and the OAL is the same?

Mil spec 7.62x39 loads are .310" diameter 123 grain FMJ. .308" bullets will shoot but they're not as accurate. Due to the looser fit, if anything, chamber pressures are a bit lower.

Hopefully common sense would tell you not to increase the bullet weight or OAL without carefully developing a load :) But swapping one 123-grainer for another and keeping everything else the same is pretty safe. Just be sure not to seat the new bullets any deeper than the original ones!

Mil spec 7.62x39 loads are .310" diameter 123 grain FMJ. .308" bullets will shoot but they're not as accurate. Due to the looser fit, if anything, chamber pressures are a bit lower.

Hopefully common sense would tell you not to increase the bullet weight or OAL without carefully developing a load :) But swapping one 123-grainer for another and keeping everything else the same is pretty safe. Just be sure not to seat the new bullets any deeper than the original ones!

Okay, that's what I was thinking but I don't know much about reloading. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...