I just received the application for a C&R license from the ATF and I am starting to have doubts about going through with it. Can the ATF come into my home and take an inventory when ever they please? Call me paranoid but I don't want to be a top priority or red flaged if there is a gun grab. I also don't want them to know how much ammo I have on hand.

I've had no such inspections with mine, had it for 3 years, not so much as a peep. Not sure of their rights once in the door, but i think they are only concerned with the C&R guns you have bought, and how you may have disposed of them. If in doubt keep the C&R guns apart from your others and the ammo. Keep good record and you should be fine. Don't start thinking you are a dealer with a C&R. You are not and you will be in a heap of trouble if you try to act like one.

pros.... it is cheap, you can get some cool old guns at great prices and sent directly to you, and you can get discounts from places like CDNN and MidwayUSA.

try this place for more info.

http://curioandrelicfirearmsforum.yuku.com/

I apologize in advance, think you have to register with yuku before you can do anything there.

by the way....just being on this forum, we are all likely on the short list if there is a gun grab....just some food for thought.

I don't think a gun grab will happen in the immediate future. If it did, you can bet that 50 year old guns will not be the priority(minus nfa). The alphabet girls can make an appointment with you to see your C&R guns. My understanding is that you are not required to show them anything but the C&R guns that pertain to your license.

The impression I get is that yes, supposedly they can only ask to see your C&R guns. No, they more than likely will not ever do this. If they do, they will give you notice and set up a time with you; they won't just bang down your door one day.

Be aware that C&R license processing takes a couple of months. If you just wanted one or two old guns and you didn't want to wait, it may be worth the money to just send it to a proper dealer. Up to you.

The impression I get is that yes, supposedly they can only ask to see your C&R guns. No, they more than likely will not ever do this. If they do, they will give you notice and set up a time with you; they won't just bang down your door one day.

Be aware that C&R license processing takes a couple of months. If you just wanted one or two old guns and you didn't want to wait, it may be worth the money to just send it to a proper dealer. Up to you.

Also you are required to keep a log of all transactions of firearms (the wording is not clear as to it pertaining to just C&R or all firearms purchaced while you have the licence... so just to be on the safe side keep a log of every thing).

Here is the info they expect you to keep:

table1.gif

I think you'll like the hobby, its fun for a while untill you collect all the cool stuff.

If they want to audit you, you have the option of bringing your log to them. Home inspections are rare, I have not heard of any. The bennies of the license far out weigh any downside.

Grow a pair, Get your license, collect goodies until your bank account is busted!

If they want to audit you, you have the option of bringing your log to them. Home inspections are rare, I have not heard of any. The bennies of the license far out weigh any downside.

Grow a pair, Get your license, collect goodies until your bank account is busted!

I've only heard of one myself. I agree that the chances of a home audit are extreamly low, but its not difficult to keep everything in order in the off chance you get the "po po at yo door" :haha:

I've had one for about a year and a half, be warned I started with 4 firearms, now I have over 20.

Some points, some already discussed.

- I haven't been audited.

- You must keep a bound book of your transactions, if you want one, PM me and I'll hook you up on the cheap.

- Cost is negligible, if you consider that most FFL01 dealers will charge $25-$50 for a transfer, if you buy one old gun you're already ahead.

- You can have stuff shipped directly to your house.

- You are not a dealer, don't do transactions.

- You can buy from distributors, we're not allowed to post links to them here, PM me if you want my list.

- Remember the ATF makes up the rules as they go, you can never expect them to follow the rules they create; though it is pretty unlikely that they are going to come in and seize your guns, unless you're doing something bad.

- Several articles recommend mailing your license out to a bunch of dealers... don't bother, just send it to people you want to do business with.

Here are some links...

Firearms Curios or Relics List

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm

Federal Firearms Licensing Information

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl_info.htm

FFL03 Curios & Relics: A Primer

This is a bit out of date, but very similar to what you need.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/h...ffl03/index.asp