Gouged round on chambering

is that the top round in your factory mag? If so options are:

Load one less round in the mag

Load mag on an open bolt.

If thats every round then you may have a bolt has an unfinished part on it.

No, its on the 25 rd surefire mag where the bullet is on the other side ie in the way of the lug of the bolt. Can this still be the unfinished part issue? After I posted I did a search and saw a guy in December had a similar issue but much worse and RAAC fixed it for free but I don't recall if his did it with the factory mag or not. Thanks!

PS: When I tried this with my factory mag it gets stuck on the 2nd round when hand cycling as the round is on the otherside then thus replicating the 25rders 1st bullet side.

Edited by Tazman2
is that the top round in your factory mag? If so options are:

Load one less round in the mag

Load mag on an open bolt.

If thats every round then you may have a bolt has an unfinished part on it.

No, its on the 25 rd surefire mag where the bullet is on the other side ie in the way of the lug of the bolt. Can this still be the unfinished part issue? After I posted I did a search and saw a guy in December had a similar issue but much worse and RAAC fixed it for free but I don't recall if his did it with the factory mag or not. Thanks!

PS: When I tried this with my factory mag it gets stuck on the 2nd round when hand cycling as the round is on the otherside then thus replicating the 25rders 1st bullet side.

Surefire have a tendency to missalign the rounds. Listen to csspecs, he is talking the truth

Ok another question, does it do that to every round on that side of the magazine or just the first couple out? If its just the first couple then it may stop doing that once you get some more rounds down the barrel. I can't say for sure without holding the rifle in my hands and looking.. I'd say that its possible a box or two of wolf ammo will help rub the edge thats gouging the brass cases.

You could try asking RAAC to see what they think about the round gouging. They may be able to tell you for sure if its just a break in thing or if it needs to be repaired.

Edited by csspecs

There was a thread about this gouging of the rounds a while back. I just got a .308 Saiga, and tonight, after taking it all apart to clean, I used my dremel and polished the '3rd' lug that might contact the brass. Mind you I didn't change tolerances, I just used the fine sanding disc and went over the radius lightly that had been put in there at the factory to alleviate all this. I also polished the underneat of the bolt carrier so that it glides along the cartridges and cocks the hammer. This creates less drag.

I don't think shooting and "trying" to wear it in is a good idea. Either take it to a gun smith and simply take a very close look at the bolt and polilsh the edge that meets the brass so that it does not have a sharp edge. YOU polishing it with tools is a heck of a lot better than letting ammo do this job. Safer too.

My .308 Saiga was doing the exact same thing after conversion and I couldn't find much info on the problem.

However after investigating some more I found some info somewhere about how it would do this to the rounds on the left side of the magazine because of a machining process that was skipped on some of these rifles.

It was probably posted on this site somewhere, but I can't find it. Anyhow, all i did was some careful dremel work on the area that was giving me problems. Mine was so bad it would actually puncture some brass.

Causing unreliability in my rifle as well. After the work, mine runs great and does not damage rounds anymore at all.

Hope this helps.

Try this thread: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...34785&st=20 pictures are kind of LARGE but the same thing was happening. Page 2 of this thread has the pictures.

Thanks! Know what I'm gonna dremel it myself screw sending it out. I've had bad luck with random stuff lately (chinese food mess up today) and others stuff here and there so with my luck it'll get lost! :unsure: Anyways. Care to mock up the bolt pic to show me exactly what I need to dremel off? I think I see what I need to do versus my bolt but not 100% sure. Thanks! :)

Hmm... I don't have any wolf but so far had about 100 rds of Winchester/NATO through the rifle and then about 100-150 rounds of brown bear. So not much rounds just yet. My wallet and shoulder can only take so much! :angel:

Yeah if it was going to smooth out it would have already.

Sounds like home gun smithing time.