I have been wanting to get a rifle in 7.62x39 caliber. I was thinking of just getting a 7.62 upper for my AR but it didnt seem right and for the same price I could get an AK variant. My question is what is a good Ak variant in the $500-$700 range? I was thinking of getting a saiga but I dont want to do a conversion.

And one more noobie question. Can the saiga accept standard AK mags?

I have been wanting to get a rifle in 7.62x39 caliber. I was thinking of just getting a 7.62 upper for my AR but it didnt seem right and for the same price I could get an AK variant. My question is what is a good Ak variant in the $500-$700 range? I was thinking of getting a saiga but I dont want to do a conversion.

If you really want a saiga, don't let the prospect of converting stop you. You can pay someone to do a basic conversion for you and still be close to your price range. Saigas can accept AK mags with a bullet guide added and a slight modification of the mag catch. Both of which can be done along with the conversion.

If you really want a saiga, don't let the prospect of converting stop you. You can pay someone to do a basic conversion for you and still be close to your price range. Saigas can accept AK mags with a bullet guide added and a slight modification of the mag catch. Both of which can be done along with the conversion.

The mag catch mod is not 100% required.

Fitting and measuring with rifle in hand will tell you for sure.

Converting a Saiga yourself is as easy as falling off a log. It doesn't take any specialized tools or a lot of time.

Find somebody here to provide support and have at it . .

Willing to help with conversions - Saiga-12.com

Well the conversion is a possibility but I would also like to know of some other AK variants that accept standard AK mags in that price range +/- and of good quality.

There are none.

The Saiga is the best option, economically and qualitatively.

The next closest commercial Kalashnikov sporters are made from used part/QC rejected parts, and those cost more than the Saiga.

my advice if your willing to spend $6-700:

contact Will @ Red Jacket firearms and tell him you want a basic conversion that will accept milsurp mags.

then buy a 7.62X39 saiga from Peach State Guns and have it sent directly to Will.

then wait for a call from your ffl to go pick up the best AK you can possibly get your hands on ;)

Edited by PRISONSHANK