You could make the case that it would be, yes. I would say so, as over 60% or whatever of the construction of the part was done in the US, and i would think that if you just use the hinge, the hinge is just a hinge, and the entire stock would be the stock and US made, like an ace folder, if it had a chinese hinge.

We arent the ATF though, and if you want to know what they will twist the law to, based on their whims at any given moment, subject to change at any time, you would have to ask them, In writing is recommended.

You could make the case that it would be, yes. I would say so, as over 60% or whatever of the construction of the part was done in the US, and i would think that if you just use the hinge, the hinge is just a hinge, and the entire stock would be the stock and US made, like an ace folder, if it had a chinese hinge.

We arent the ATF though, and if you want to know what they will twist the law to, based on their whims at any given moment, subject to change at any time, you would have to ask them, In writing is recommended.

I can save you the trouble.

A hinge block is not a butt stock.

If you fab your own stock and weld it to the original hinge block, you'll be fine.

Do not 'fancy up' the original Vz58 stock, as it would still be considered a 'foreign part'.

Please stop suggesting that we write to the revenuers with every common sense question we come up with - this question has been answered by them previously, and you damn sure don't want to give them a chance to reverse it (which they're known to do).

When you write, they are only giving you their opinion of the law, not the law itself.

If you fab your own stock and weld it to the original hinge block, you'll be fine.

Do not 'fancy up' the original Vz58 stock, as it would still be considered a 'foreign part'.

Y the plan would be 1) chop off old stock, maybe leave 1/2" to 1" nub if that makes it easier to add a new stock 2) Either fab a stock 100% from scratch, or mod a existing US made stock, and weld the stock onto the hinge.

The metal where you put your cheek, and the metal that goes against your shoulder, would be 100% replaced. Not going for pretty, just functional and US made, to facilitate use of import mags with factory plates and followers.

Do you happen to have any link to letter where they answered the question before? I know some people who get letters put them on the web and I usually save them when I find them.. if they partain to something I'm interested in ;)

Edited by John_pro2a
Do you happen to have any link to letter where they answered the question before? I know some people who get letters put them on the web and I usually save them when I find them.. if they partain to something I'm interested in ;)

I've posted it here more than once.

Posted it on other forums many times.

. . and now I've looked for over half an hour and can't find it :(

It's here somewhere (more than once) :(

Please stop suggesting that we write to the revenuers with every common sense question we come up with - this question has been answered by them previously, and you damn sure don't want to give them a chance to reverse it (which they're known to do).

When you write, they are only giving you their opinion of the law, not the law itself.

YES! PLUS 1!

Quit writeing the BATF, no good can come of it!

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

I was just making the point that i was only giving my opinion, which is worth less than used toilet paper wherever UncleBATFecker is concerned, and wouldnt recommend writing the ATF either, though not because i think they need a second question to reverse their position, (history has shown they dont) or any other "oh no, dont tell the man" paranoia, but as its generally a big waste of time, as often as they change their mind or reverse their opinion, and other than Intent, it offers no defense at all from legal persecution. You would much better spend your time if you asked a lawyer "If i did _______, would you be able to form a solid defense for me if the ATF tried to charge me with a violation stemming from it?"

It sounded to me like the OP had it figured out before he posted.

Not many US made furniture options for the VZ58.

It seems like it's be easy to take a factory folder, cut off the stock, and weld on a US stock.

So would a US stock, welded to a factory imported hinge, be a US part when it comes to 922r?

You could always go this route and then put on any comparable stock.

IMG_00872009_04_10.jpg

Edited by U.S Praetorian