Saiga 7.62 pistol grip conversion?

to do the job you will need:

a fire control group (FCG) that is a trigger, hammer, and disconnect) most places sell fcgs all as one item.

a pistol grip. if the grip you buy doesnt come with mounting hardware (bolt and nut) you will nee to buy that too.

a stock.

like others have said look around at the vendors here, all these items can be bought through them.

optional but recommended items:

3/16 inch black vinyl plugs http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=43855

some sort of black high temp (grill or oven) paint or commercial gun finish etc for the bottom of the receiver. (when you remove the plate covering the bottom of your receiver it will likely be unfinished and need rust protection.)

tips:

follow one of the walkthoughs on this site.

legal junk:

when you do the conversion it will trigger 922r compliance requirement(no big deal). make sure you replace enough foreign parts with US made ones so you remain legal. more on 922r here http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

also you might want to make sure owning a rifle with pistol grip is legal in your state (i know its not in California).

hope this helped, h0pp

Ok im gonna order parts today from mississippi im ordering a tapco ak stock , some sort of pistol grip, tromix fcg and diy trigger gaurd is this all i need for the conversion? I know about the bullett guide and i plan on buying a ak forearm and gas tube also the mountaing hardware but just making sure i ordrr what i need all at once. With the stock style ak grip what do i need to mount it? Thanks

Edited by eric1785

The DIY trigger guard is only for the S12's. You wont need it for a X39. Most just reshape and reuse their originals. And remember to try and get as many US parts as you can. Here's a good sight for checking compliance. Good luck and welcome aboard.

O really? How do i re attach the gaurd? Well thats saves 50 bucks so all i need its the fcg a grip and stock? For my x39 to move it forward with a pistol grip?

The DIY trigger guard is only for the S12's. You wont need it for a X39. Most just reshape and reuse their originals. And remember to try and get as many US parts as you can. Here's a good sight for checking compliance. Good luck and welcome aboard.

O really? How do i re attach the gaurd? Well thats saves 50 bucks so all i need its the fcg a grip and stock? For my x39 to move it forward with a pistol grip?

Re-using the old trigger guard is what most of us cheap bastards did. All you have to do is not completely mangle it when removing it, cut the back mounting hole off of it, bend it a little, and bolt it in place. If you Google Saiga conversion videos you'll find a video showing all the steps including the re-using of the old trigger guard. Or if you want a new one, Dinzag sells a new trigger guard for the 7.62 for $25 which looks good.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/convkit.html

Ok thanks just a couple other thing what do i get for bolts to put the gaurd back on? What about the pins you drill out how doi assemble that back togrther? So all i need to buy is a tromix fcg a tapco ak style stock and a pistol grip?

For bolt, I just took the trigger guard and trigger plate to Ace hardware and poked around until I found a bolt and nut combo that was just big enough to bolt the two together without too much extra and looked right. The old pins you drill out will eventually go in the trash. I used them for assistance in my conversion so you might want to wait until you are done to trash them. The new FCG will be held in place by the two pins already in you riffle. But those pins will also need to be retained so you will also need either a shepherds crook, or a FCG retaining plate. I found the plate to be far easier to install and uninstall.

Here's a couple things that helped me through mine.

Conversion article

Another conversion article

Movie