Reversible Conversion maybe?

Hey guys, I need some advice...

I own 2 saiga rifles. A 7.62x39 and the new 5.45x39. At this time, neither of my 2 are converted other than the frontend AK style grips, because of the fact that i live out here in far left coast of Komifornia, and quite frankly, im a little leary of doing anything to them with the way the laws are out here.

My question is this: Would it be possible to tap and thread all or some of the rivet holes and use nuts and bolts with loctite to do the conversion instead of rivets? I am new to the conversion world here, and I really want to do it, but i want to know if there is anyway to make this process reversible, or if its even worth trying to make it reversible.

please do not flame, I am only seeking wisdom & knowledge...

Hey guys, I need some advice...

I own 2 saiga rifles. A 7.62x39 and the new 5.45x39. At this time, neither of my 2 are converted other than the frontend AK style grips, because of the fact that i live out here in far left coast of Komifornia, and quite frankly, im a little leary of doing anything to them with the way the laws are out here.

My question is this: Would it be possible to tap and thread all or some of the rivet holes and use nuts and bolts with loctite to do the conversion instead of rivets? I am new to the conversion world here, and I really want to do it, but i want to know if there is anyway to make this process reversible, or if its even worth trying to make it reversible.

please do not flame, I am only seeking wisdom & knowledge...

You're not going to need to use any rivets or bolts for the conversion process (other than those used to hold on the trigger guard). You'll drill out the two rivets near the end of the receiver and either fill the holes with plugs or weld them up. Then after removing the plate on the bottom and returning the FCG group to its original position, you'll re-use the two existing axis pins.

Edited by GerryV

IMO, once you convert it, you wont want to put it back to stock configuration. I didn't rivet anything when I did my X39, accept the rear hole of the side mount when I took it off, which could have been remedied by not drilling too deep into the rivet and leaving it on there, I just used one nut and bolt for the trigger guard. Maybe some one can do a Cali conversion thread with a mag lock and all, and get it stickied for the California guys.

IMO, once you convert it, you wont want to put it back to stock configuration. I didn't rivet anything when I did my X39, accept the rear hole of the side mount when I took it off, which could have been remedied by not drilling too deep into the rivet and leaving it on there, I just used one nut and bolt for the trigger guard. Maybe some one can do a Cali conversion thread with a mag lock and all, and get it stickied for the California guys.

I know what you mean, but im not real fond of bullet buttons...

I think if you bought 5mm and 7mm reamers, you could make Axis pins fit into those holes formerly reserved for the rivets. The real trick would be making the old sporter trigger and transfer bar fit the slightly larger axis pins.

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29919

^reamers

http://dpharms.com/axis-pin-p-33.html

94-100-axis_pin.jpg

you could hold the pins in place with E clips.

I think if you bought 5mm and 7mm reamers, you could make Axis pins fit into those holes formerly reserved for the rivets. The real trick would be making the old sporter trigger and transfer bar fit the slightly larger axis pins.

http://www.ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29919

^reamers

http://dpharms.com/axis-pin-p-33.html

94-100-axis_pin.jpg

you could hold the pins in place with E clips.

well...lets work on this for the CA crowd.