Nick on gas piston

I only put about 20 rounds through my saiga 12 last weekend and noticed when cleaning that I had a good nick on the side of the piston. The only thing I did differently this time at the range was use a couple of rounds of 3 in magnum slugs. But I really only fired about 2 or 3 of them as they are too much for me in a 30 yd indoor range. Could the mag slugs have caused the piston to get damaged this way? I could not find any unusual debris or dents on the inside of the gas system. Is there any need to smooth it down now? Do I have an over gassed gun after my conversion? Appreciate comments and ideas.

when you re assemble your 12 after cleaning, have you ever tried to insert the bolt carrier group into the gun without setting it on the rails correctly then tried to force it in at an angle? sorry for the run on sentence. That could be the issue. I know i've tried to insert it without fully seating the carrier correctly just to have it enter at a downward angle. just spitballin'

When you fired the 3" magnum shells , were you on the #1 gas setting, or still on #2? The "nick" is where the bolt carrier extension impacts the front trunnion when the action cycles. This does not hurt anything. In AK's of any type the bolt carrier does not fly back in a nice parallel plane , the front of the gas piston (concave nosed equivalent of the flat faced bolt extension of the shotguns)rises up due to the offset between it and the center mass of the bolt/carrier group, and huge clearances in the guide rails.

This is one of the secrets of how this weapon can cycle when it is filthy! It shakes the crap off of itself!

Thanks all for the comments.

Bob- thanks for the correction in terms. It looks like a piston :rolleyes:

Vita- I didnt jam that bad boy in there. Learned a long while back the proper method to rotating the bolt etc.

GOB- I only shoot slugs and buck at the range so leave it on #1.

Its a weird one guys, but maybe a fluke. Ill keep you posted it it happens again and do a further investigation of my gas system.

As long as no one thinks its an over gassed issue, then I think Im not worried.