I have read the barrel threading tutorial and have Q's.

I'd like to cut my shroud back halfway and thread for 14x1 LH threads. I would like the ability to choose a slant brake or a 74 style brake depending upon my mood. So the question I have is what would be the best way to time the threads on these brakes?

Is it possible to cut out a hole for a retaining pin in the original front sight block? Or would it be best to use some type of crush washer? If so, what crush washer should I choose? Or should I use a different method.

The reason I've kind of written off the idea of replacing the FSB with a 24mm Bulgarian or other 24 mm FSB is because I want to be able to go between a slant brake, flash hider, or 74 style brake whenever I choose.

The reason I've kind of written off the idea of replacing the FSB with a 24mm Bulgarian or other 24 mm FSB is because I want to be able to go between a slant brake, flash hider, or 74 style brake whenever I choose.

So change it out with an AK47/AKM front sight block.

Then you can use a 14mmLH to 24mm thread adapter and utilize any muzzle device you like.

So change it out with an AK47/AKM front sight block.

Then you can use a 14mmLH to 24mm thread adapter and utilize any muzzle device you like.

IIRC, you have three choices when using a standard FSB.

The barrel on the Saiga is 0.3 inches longer than a standard AK-103 etc.

Option 1. Locate FSB far back from the muzzle of your rifle and don't modify the muzzle. So to have your sight leaf be accurate for different distances you must push back the FSB 0.3 inches further than is normal. So the plunger pin on the FSB wouldn't be long enough to index your muzzle device.

Option 2. Modify the muzzle by cutting barrel and recrowning. Then you get your cake and eat it too, because the sight leaf will be accurate and the protruding portion of your barrel is the standard length so the retaining pin works.

Option 3. Leave the FSB a little bit forward of where it should be. You can then expect the pin to be in the correct position to index your muzzle device, but when you move your sight leaf for different ranges it will be off and not to the designed spec.

I am gonna be cheap and say I'm not going to cut and recrown the barrel. What would be the cost of that anyways?

But nalioth, that is a good suggestion. I think the best solution is to cut the barrel, recrown, install the AKM FSB, and use the 24 mm adapter.

I was looking for a kind of bastardized middle ground of cutting the shroud and using something to time the threads.

I appreciate your input though, if the price of cutting, recrowing and installing the new FSB is low then I would strongly consider it. I would also strongly consider it if the work involved is about to the level of the barrel threading tutorial.

Has anyone here ever cut a hole into their FSB to add an indexing pin? I'll also check out Dinzag's crush washer. Whoever made that suggestion, thank you!

Just keeping a conversation going. Thanks all!

IIRC, you have three choices when using a standard FSB.

The barrel on the Saiga is 0.3 inches longer than a standard AK-103 etc.

<snip>

Option 2. Modify the muzzle by cutting barrel and recrowning. Then you get your cake and eat it too, because the sight leaf will be accurate and the protruding portion of your barrel is the standard length so the retaining pin works.

Option 3. Leave the FSB a little bit forward of where it should be. You can then expect the pin to be in the correct position to index your muzzle device, but when you move your sight leaf for different ranges it will be off and not to the designed spec.

<snip>

Option 2 is CRAZY TALK! crazy-emoticon.gif

When you cut and crown your muzzle, you'll violate the chrome lining, and it may start flaking off, negating any crown job you have done. Also, you'll have to grind out the chrome to crown it, anyway (chrome is really hard stuff).

I don't think the 3/10 of an inch is gonna make any difference when you're going for the "indirect fire" technique, personally (that is what the adjustable sight rail is use for). Your elevation and inclination are all adjusted in the front sight itself.

Option 3 is the winnah! in my book.

This method would seem to eliminate the problem of chrome flaking has anyone tried it or seen his work?

Dinzag method

The people at Dinzag have kindly pointed out there is no possibility of chrome flaking due to the process used to chrome the barrels.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • 2 weeks later...

"I was looking for a kind of bastardized middle ground of cutting the shroud and using something to time the threads."

Hope this doesn't seem as I am trying to hijack this thread, just didn't seem appropriate to start another one as this one is in line with my question. I quoted what was stated earlier, as I am looking to put the Type 74 break on my x39, but I would like if at all possible not to cut the shroud off of the barrel. Is it possible to just thread the barrel and fit the 24mm Type 74 on it? I would probably also utilized a crush washer as well. Lots of great info here, and will re-read the barrel threading post.

"I was looking for a kind of bastardized middle ground of cutting the shroud and using something to time the threads."

Hope this doesn't seem as I am trying to hijack this thread, just didn't seem appropriate to start another one as this one is in line with my question. I quoted what was stated earlier, as I am looking to put the Type 74 break on my x39, but I would like if at all possible not to cut the shroud off of the barrel. Is it possible to just thread the barrel and fit the 24mm Type 74 on it? I would probably also utilized a crush washer as well. Lots of great info here, and will re-read the barrel threading post.

There isn't enough material on the existing shroud to thread it for 24mm muzzle devices.

There isn't enough material on the existing shroud to thread it for 24mm muzzle devices.

Thank you Naolith for this guidance and quick reply. I know that doing the thread mod isn't that hard, but just something about cutting into the barrel makes my hair stand up on my neck, just like fingernails being scraped across a blackboard! I will probably just wait for DPH to get the retaining pin situation taken care.