The GOGUN Battle Ready Rifle

Much can be done about a rifle's accuracy via the trigger, crown, etc. . . All within a customizer's ability.

A Saiga .223 could easily be a (non Bullshit) 2 MOA rifle. So long as aim is spot on, even 2 MOA still equals center mass at 600 yds.

600yds is intermediate if you figure 5.56 to be an intermediate cartridge.

Ive seen no difference in accuracy between converted and sportster saigas. Bare in mind, I do appreciate ergonomic improvements, but lets be real about accuracy ok?

Much can be done about a rifle's accuracy via the trigger, crown, etc. . . All within a customizer's ability.

A Saiga .223 could easily be a (non Bullshit) 2 MOA rifle. So long as aim is spot on, even 2 MOA still equals center mass at 600 yds.

600yds is intermediate if you figure 5.56 to be an intermediate cartridge.

Ive seen no difference in accuracy between converted and sportster saigas. Bare in mind, I do appreciate ergonomic improvements, but lets be real about accuracy ok?

I think the only reason, if any, that accuracy would improve would be in the trigger being better and therefore easier to shoot. The basic rifles accuracy wouldn't change, but your ability to shoot it might.

A good crown can definitely improve accuracy particularly if the rifle was not well crowned before.

That assumes a fuck-up at the factory. These things have been pretty consistent. As I understand it, bullets leaving the end of the barrel have not had a problem with uneven gas escapes (tilting the bullet), but maybe you guys know of instances where recrowning has been necessary.

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

+1 bigsal

One is more likely to damage the crown from the cleaning rod and cleaning the barrel than from what the factory did or didn't do. Even at that consideration, boat tail bullets have less incidences of gas deflection than flat base bullets. I have seen this first hand on a Savage. If you can shoot AS GOOD a group with a flat base as a boat tail bullet then it is not likely that any re-crown will be worth considering.

Under ideal bench conditions their should not be an accuracy difference in a Saiga due to the trigger. Under non ideal circumstances it definately improves a shooters accuracy to have a smooth trigger with a consistent break point. I think that is why even non-AK shooters spend big bucks on trigger jobs.

A crown may help some rifles and others may not help at all. By doing the crown though, a shop can be satisfied that the crown is now consistent to their standard.

• 2 weeks later...

600 yards is quite a stretch with a .223. Couple this with a short barrel and you will have MASSIVE drop. According to JBM Ballistics a 55 gr bullet that leaves the muzzle at 2400fps will have over 124 inches of drop at 600 yards with a 50 yard zero. That is over 10 FEET.

This ETAC gun has all the cool guy stuff, and is a bad ass close range rifle, but after 300 yards the bullet drop will make it fairly unusable. You have to have a decent muzzle velocity to retain energy downrange, and a 12" barrel, or whatever this gun has, isn't going to cut it.

There are certainly a TON of improvements done to the stock Saiga, and the high speed factor is too hard for some to resist. The price seems fair, and it sounds like demand is high.

However, having a left sided charging system opens up the AK system to exposure to dirt and other contaminants. The safety lever on the right side can at least be closed to prevent some of this, but when a modified dust cover is used with a large gap cut into the left side, there is no protection from the elements.

Please see my video here:

and here:

• Like 1

Impressive video: It convinces me that when burying my Kalashnikovs, I need to put the safety on. Did you do one with 7.62?

Still, I want a left side charging handle. someone just needs to come up with a good solution to the slot it leaves. I think gunfixr made a good version that accomplished that, so why cant someone commercially?

• Like 1

Impressive video: It convinces me that when burying my Kalashnikovs, I need to put the safety on. Did you do one with 7.62?

Still, I want a left side charging handle. someone just needs to come up with a good solution to the slot it leaves. I think gunfixr made a good version that accomplished that, so why cant someone commercially?

I don't have a 7.62 available, but I don' really see the need to try another caliber. The operating systems are the same, and the gap between the dust cover and receiver are also the same.

I had a couple of ideas to fix the problem, and will work on them accordingly.

I think a lot of people were surprised how well the "other" rifle did, including myself.

I may do some handgun videos in the future though, like Glock vs. 1911 or something since that seems to be a prolific topic.