Scope Sidemount

Scope Side Mount

CDNN has these for $30. I want the ability to keep my stock iron sights and still have the scope. If I'm out in the boonies and break a scope, for whatever reason, I'd want to be able to still use the sights. I wasn't sure if this sidemount style would work or not. They claim its detachable with just a lever but it requires the rifle to have a "side rail base". Not sure what that terminology means, other than assuming you have not removed the body of the receiver??

The other option is just replace the top cover with one that has a standard weaver style mount on top for the scope like this:

Scope Side Mount

When I searched I didn't find many people explaining why they mounted their scopes the way they did. So I just need a gently shove in the right direction from someone who has the trial/error experience. Any comments are appreciated!

Only reason I'd use a side mount rail adapter whatever thingy is if I had some specialty scope that I was forced to use.

If I just generally wanted a scope I'd hunt for a PSO-1 or settle for a PSOP.

They already have the reticules that calculate for the drop of the 7.62x39 and better tolerances around clamping to that side mount so you have a semi-repeatable zero.

If I wanted a red-dot or scout scope I'd use an Ultimak rail so I could co-witness.

Scope Side Mount

CDNN has these for $30. I want the ability to keep my stock iron sights and still have the scope. If I'm out in the boonies and break a scope, for whatever reason, I'd want to be able to still use the sights. I wasn't sure if this sidemount style would work or not. They claim its detachable with just a lever but it requires the rifle to have a "side rail base". Not sure what that terminology means, other than assuming you have not removed the body of the receiver??

The other option is just replace the top cover with one that has a standard weaver style mount on top for the scope like this:

Scope Side Mount

When I searched I didn't find many people explaining why they mounted their scopes the way they did. So I just need a gently shove in the right direction from someone who has the trial/error experience. Any comments are appreciated!

The UTG side mount is a much much better option than a dust cover mount (which I would consider a complete NON-option). You don't want to go that way man. I've got the UTG and like it just fine, but some have had issues with getting it to hold zero. Search around here and you'll find a bunch of info on that mount. I know someone just posted a thread discussing the UTG within the past two weeks.

I have both, the Belarus BN02 and the 2-rail UTG, quick release side mounts. The Belarus needed to be adjusted out of the box, but is now rock solid and retains zero consistantly thru near 200rnds of dismount/mount sessions on x39. The UTG, on .223, has seen around a hundred rnds. During dismount/mount sessions I've had to re-tighten the adjustment screw twice so far. Once re-tightened it seems to hold rock solid for awhile. I'm happy with both...for the shooting I do. The BN02 holds a 16oz red dot and the UTG holds a 14oz scope. My dismount/mount sessions probably do the on/off thing alot more than normal use would.

Thanks for al lthe info folks!

This might be a silly question, but when looking at AK specific parts will they all bolt right up to Saigas? Afterall the receivers are Kalishnikov but I wasn't sure if all the bolt holes exist where these mount or if I will be required to do any drilling/tapping. The kits out there dont mention anything about this so I would assume they fit out of the box. But we all know what happens when you ASSUME. :rolleyes:

Cheaper Than Dirt has these 2:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS006-6.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS020-6.html

Most of the reviews were good for both. Just not sure. Decisions decisions...

Edited by Turbo6