i'm thinking seriously about going through the process of getting my ffl. are the online kits that walk you through the process worth the money. is there somethings i should know up front that might change my mind or keep me from getting my ffl. rely curios about the online kits. thanks, jr.

.......is there somethings i should know up front that might change my mind or keep me from getting my ffl.

I have no first hand experience with obtaining an FFL, but..........everyone says that it's kinda hard to get one without a store-front of some kind (and apparently, even having a section of your own home set up as a shop, is sometimes still a pain to use as your "store-front").

This is what I've seen from my reading, anyway. So take it for what it's worth. We've got a lot of good guys here with FFL's, so I'm sure they can provide the info you seek.

(FWIW, two of the FFL's I use, are both "kitchen-table" FFL's. One has a tiny "store" in the lower half of his house, and the other doesn't even have a store-front at all. He does it out of his garage, but he (Bob Serva) builds custom 1911's and used to run Dan Wesson Firearms. So I don't know how strict the "you must have a store-front" thing is, or what exemptions there are.)

I know 3 tabletop in PA and 1 in NJ (yuck) both are about retirement age and very nice. Xfer fees are lower because of the lack of the RETAIL front...

The lady in PA I use still stocks most GLOCKS and stuff NIB and she does layway..

Maybe time to pick up another G30?? hmmm

I was going to get a C&R Type 03 when I lived in NJ and after 4 months of nothing back I called the ATF and was informed because I was in NJ I would need the SAME setup as having a Class 1 FFL (alarms and sh*t) so I had them kill the application and got my money order back..

I should try again here in PA once I get settled...

I thought C&R's are only good for receiving old guns, that are specifically stated on a list, and only for yourself (as opposed to being able to do transfers for someone who bought a gun from elsewhere).

You are correct, FFL03/C&R does not permit you to "Deal Firearms", though the C&R list isn't an exhaustive list, the rule is: 50+ years old OR on the list. For instance, the Yugo SKS 59/66 rifles are not over 50 years old, but it is on the list, so it is eligible; same with those Ishpore Enfields, which were produced in the 60's.

The hangup with the home based FFL is that you must be in the "business" of selling weapons, not collecting... This means you will most likely need a business license (which is easy) but the BATF will ask if your desired location is zoned business. If it is zoned residential, you will most likely not qualify. It does't have to be zoned business or industrial, but it can't be residential...

Good Luck!

The worst part is the application... :)

Edited by chevymann

I thought C&R's are only good for receiving old guns, that are specifically stated on a list, and only for yourself (as opposed to being able to do transfers for someone who bought a gun from elsewhere).

You are correct, FFL03/C&R does not permit you to "Deal Firearms", though the C&R list isn't an exhaustive list, the rule is: 50+ years old OR on the list. For instance, the Yugo SKS 59/66 rifles are not over 50 years old, but it is on the list, so it is eligible; same with those Ishpore Enfields, which were produced in the 60's.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought you were limited to the guns on a list.

thanks to all for the replies. from the info so far the ffl may be to much trouble for the part timer i'm looking to be. i need to research into the other license options to learn more about them and there limitations. my family owns a family business so that may be a possibility for my store front. i don't know for sure more info to look into. thanks again, jr

my family owns a family business so that may be a possibility for my store front.

Well that might help move things along, if what I've read about the "must have a storefront" thing is true.

Because I do know that there are FFL's (I know of 1 in NY), where the store-front is not a gunstore. There's a hardware store that has an FFL and does transfers. I've even seen a heating & air conditioning company owner with an FFL who did transfers.

Good luck in your search.

my family owns a family business so that may be a possibility for my store front.

Well that might help move things along, if what I've read about the "must have a storefront" thing is true.

Because I do know that there are FFL's (I know of 1 in NY), where the store-front is not a gunstore. There's a hardware store that has an FFL and does transfers. I've even seen a heating & air conditioning company owner with an FFL who did transfers.

The storefront is nice and may help, but not absolutely necessary.. At least in our case.

We operate out of our home. We got licensed in Nov. of 2008. The BATF inspector told us as long as you have a business license, a safe and don't live in an area zoned "residential" you should be fine. I have also worked for companies that are in other businesses that use their storefront as the gunstore. YMMV as I'm sure the BATF inspectors have different ideas. They were very friendly and helpful to us.

Edited by chevymann

The storefront is nice and may help, but not absolutely necessary.. At least in our case.

We operate out of our home. We got licensed in Nov. of 2008. The BATF inspector told us as long as you have a business license, a safe and don't live in an area zoned "residential" you should be fine. I have also worked for companies that are in other businesses that use their storefront as the gunstore. YMMV as I'm sure the BATF inspectors have different ideas. They were very friendly and helpful to us.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how strict that policy was, as I said, both of the FFL's I use currently.....1 has a "store" in his basement and the other doesn't even have a "store" of any kind. He does it from his garage. I wonder what his neighbors, who don't know him, think.

People walk into his garage empty handed, and leave with an arm full of firepower. :super: