Shortened barrel

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums, been aware of this site for awhile though.

I have a 410 Saiga I received as a gift, it wasnt anything I would've thought I'd buy for myself,but I fell in love with it. I'm just now getting around to pistol gripping the thing and have the feeling I'm going to want to shorten the barrel when thats done. I've seen the gas block swaps and they look awsome (props to the guys on here doing them!) but I think I will stick with the adjustable for now.Either way, I know the front is still going to seem on the big side for me..

My question is, who has shortened and re-threaded the barrel down to 18 or 19"? I'm sure it wouldn't be any big deal for the machine shop (if they have that die),but I'd like some insight before I head down there expecting them to work me miracles (they are friends that I ask waaay too many favors from already). I notice the area is machined down,so it problly isnt as simple to do as a regular AK would be. Any input?

Since it's a gas-operated semi-auto, shortening the barrel will reduce the available gas volume and your gun might have trouble cycling.

Check the SBS sticky in the S12 forum for a full treatment of this subject.

Wow, I didn't think of that. From what I see, the 410 came in 2 or 3 different lengths. I wonder what might be different between them,or if all 3 barrels are all in the acceptable range.

I got the conversion finished :) I learnt alot and had fun doing it.and spent hardly anything. I really like the pull with the single hook AK trigger and a polished hammer :)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your conversion.

The configuration of the gas ports is the main factor in barrel length. You can mod your gun to run a shorter barrel. The sticky I mentioned has a .410 section as I recall.

I havnt checked what type of porting my gun has,but I'm thinking a couple inches wouldnt really make a big difference. I checked the SBS thread and it didnt really help me much.

while on the subject, would it be worth it to thread the barrel for more conventional chokes if I was to chop it down to 18?

Bob is the expert here. I have seen him and Tony (and others) state many times that any amount of cutting can have negative effects...and I believe what they say.

I was just stating that MY gun is over gassed and I'd bet I could get away with cutting it down without effecting it's ability to cycle all loads. YOUR gun may be different. It's easy to tell how yours is ported. Completely unscrew the gas regulator (on the front of the gas tube). Your gas block will have one big hole and your barrel will then have hole(s) that align with this gas block hole. Look at the hole(s) that are drilled into your barrel. A dental pick might come in handy as you can poke around a bit to find all of them. Also be aware that some times the holes may be covered or partially covered. However, I think most of the .410 have one hole. One hole can lead to more wad entering your gas tube chamber. Mine seems over gassed because, as I stated before, it will throw low brass shells a long ways on setting #1 = less gas/High Brass setting.

Having the ability to change chokes is always a nice option. If I was going to do any serious use with mine I'd opt for the ability to do that. As is, I bought it for the wife...no really, I did. Honestly, she thinks it's too heavy (whatever) and is still in love with a Ruger Red Label 28ga. (barf). So, now it sits in the safe most of the time because .410 ammo is too damn expensive (double barf).

If someone could replace the Russian barrel with a US made 45 colt rifles barrel, then would it not be capable of being shortened to 16" and still be able to use .410 shot and slugs??

I'm just thinking out loud here...

Edited by MD_Willington