Riveting the trigger guard on a Saiga 12.

I noticed that more than just a few of you are using threaded fasteners to re install your salvaged and hand made trigger guards. I wondered why you did not just rivet them back on, so I took a closer look at my own Saiga 12.

I saw right away that the front trigger guard rivet is partially obscured by what must be a magazine/bolt guide. (Sorry, but the picture will not up load!) The rear trigger guard rivet went right in after I did some straightening of the trigger guard. I kind of bent it out of shape when i removed it from the adaptor plate!

There seemed to be plenty of room to use a 1/4" punch to set the rear rivet, so I gave it a try. "Disastrous" seems too strong a word. Let's just say that the result was less than satisfactory! The shank of the rivet bent over, and there was a bad gap between the head of the rivet and the steel of the trigger guard.

I remembered a set of rivet bucks that a fellow named "Silver Dollar" made over on another AK board. I set out to make a set to fit the Saiga out of materials that I had on hand.

I found a piece of 3/4" steel that a friend had given me for another project. I took several measurement of the space available, and found that I needed to remove about 3/4" of steel for the buck to clear the top of the rivet and obstruction. Next, I layed out the steel block, and step drilled the through hole starting with 1/8" bit and ending with a 3/4" bit. Next I used a 5/16" two flute ball end mill to make a divet in the end of a 3/8" grade five bolt. Here is a picture of the fininshed bucks.

post-1812-1110813942_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the finished buck inside of the receiver.

post-1812-1110813979_thumb.jpg

Next, I flipped over the receiver and used pieces of steel to give the buck added support and to level out the buck/barreled receiver. I used the modified bolt on the round head of the rivet. After a few good hard hits with an eight ounce ball peen hammer the rivet was set.

post-1812-1110814118_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention that I shortened the rivets to 0.385" over all length before I set them. They are too long, and they tend to bend over to the side if you don't shorten them. Here is a picture of the finished front trigger guard rivet.

post-1812-1110814232_thumb.jpg

I decided to give this method a try on the messed up rear rivet. The head of this rivet pulled down nicely after a few good hits with the ball peen hammer!

post-1812-1110814324_thumb.jpg

Next stop, "Tapco SAW style pistol grip"!

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Edited by Thumb Clip Pull Pin

Nice job on the rivets man! Even though the rear one will be hidden by the PG the front looks much better with a rivet like it should be. I wonder if this same method would work if you are using a trigger guard wit more than one rivet in the front. Here's a link to another guy's rivet jig I found that you might find interesting. Has some good info on rivets and screw builds.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/...igger_guard.htm

HCPookie is an AK building GOD! We have never met, but I have been inspired by his work.

Thanks Cobra 76 two!

I have used the jig that he shows. I found that sometimes the heads of the rivets do not tighten down on the trigger guard sheet metal everytime. That is why I did not take the time to construct the jig that is pictured in that link.

"Silver Dollar" came up with the original idea for rivet bucks simular to the ones that I made. He made his specifically to fit around the lower rails of AK rifles so that pairs of rivets on those rifles can be smashed.

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Awesome job man!! I wanted to rivet my guard on too, and saw that nobody had pics untill now. Thanks! What kind of rivets are you using and where did you get them. I wonder if this will work on an AMD-65, I got two of those to put together also. What are you going to do to the old trigger group rivet holes? I was thinking about putting long rivets through the holes with tight fitting spacers for extra support. :super:

You can get complete rivet sets from Tapco and DPH Arms. The latter is cheaper. I just got two sets for my next two conversions. They come with 11 short rivets and two long ones and are correct for all AK builds. DPH has them for $6 per set.

http://www.dpharms.com/modules/shop/index.php?cPath=35

hope this helps

I have hundreds of rivets I can sell... I'll post the length later tonight if I get the time. All of the half round heads are 5/16". As for pricing... I dunno, 20 for $5 without shipping? I can't image that shipping would be more than about $1.50, but I'll check.

This is way cheaper than buying them from any of the AK parts sellers. Additionally, it gives you plenty to practice with prior to putting them on your rifle if you're so inclined.

I sent a variety to DTI for when he purchased a 2rd mag from me. I take it you haven't used them yet DTI?

Edited by RDSWriter

nope. not yet. getting the proper backing, and rivet punch so that I dont screw up head/shaft. Just wanna do it right.....

And I'm hoping that Tantal comes through with getting the S12C trigger housing, and folding stock trunnion that I want...then I'll have this big ol' fun project to do.

And thank you much for those rivets RDS.

Hey mopeman, I got my rivets through a group by on another board. I am not sure what kind of rivet they are. I do know that they crush pretty well using a "Plinker" style rivet crusher that I made. They seem to be pretty tough to cursh using the bucks that I made. It took several good hits with the eight ounce ball peen hammer. Of course my work bench top could have been flexing too.

I think that I will weld up the extra holes! I have one of the extra long rivets through the front extra hole in my receiver. I am using it to hold the original trigger axis and hammer axis pins "shepard's crook" spring in place. I will probably weld up the back extra hole.

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Hey mopeman,  I got my rivets through a group by on another board.  I am not sure what kind of rivet they are.  I do know that they crush pretty well using a "Plinker" style rivet crusher that I made.  They seem to be pretty tough to cursh using the bucks that I made.  It took several good hits with the eight ounce ball peen hammer.  Of course my work bench top could have been flexing too.

I think that I will weld up the extra holes!  I have one of the extra long rivets through the front extra hole in my receiver.  I am using it to hold the original trigger axis and hammer axis pins "shepard's crook" spring in place.  I will probably weld up the back extra hole.

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.

Hey Thumb Clip, you think I might borrow that buck? You don't have a plinker jig for the reg. ak guard rivets do you? I would pay to borrow.

Thanks!

DYI

DYI,

Sure! I'll loan you the rivet bucks! I don't usually loan tools, but I won't be using the bucks for a little while. PM your address to me. I'll send them to you. Just pay the postage to you and back to me. No rental on the tools! Make sure you send the tools back to me when you are finished with them.

I am sorry but I have work lined up for the "Plinker style" rivet smasher! I can not loan that one out!

Fair enough?

Yours,

Thumb Clip Pull Pin.