Not talking about cars, Nalioth. I'm only referring to someone carrying a concealed firearm on foot in Texas with an out of state permit.

I find it hard to believe that a LEO would lock someone up overnight for legally carrying (on foot) with a legal out of state permit. Voonman's comment about "foreign" licenses and threats of false imprisonment just rubbed me the wrong way.

Aresv...Call the Texas DPMS and verify before you argue...I am relaying to you guys what they told me....So no need to get hot n bubbly...Just take 5min out of your day call them to verify what i am saying is true and not horse shit...

I already have feedback from some Houston LEO's, but nothing at the state level. They won't detain someone for having an out of state pistol permit. That's as absurd as locking somebody up overnight because the Texas police computers couldn't verify an out of state drivers' license.

So yes, I believe what you were saying was horse shit. Texas is a state just like all the others. If you don't want to be part of the USA that badly, move to Mexico and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Umm what the hell does mexico have to do with this conversation :unsure: ???I believe your law enforcement buddies were blowing hot air up your ass to make you feel good..Call Tx DPS 1-800-224-5744 to verify on a higher level than what you are hearing from your buddies..I live in Houston and i also know a few law enforcement officers..All of them agree to the fact it would be up to the officers own judgement to make that arrest if your out of state permit could not be verified..Make sure you get your facts straight before talking shit and giving misguided information on this thread...

Wow its been awhile since ive been on here.. Voonman may have a point..A few years back there was a situation where a friend of mine was detained by a state trooper because he could not validate there out of state permit..This can be a hassle to many but it is reality and it has happened before to many.I will have to do some research on how the law is treating this today.

Generally the police can detain someone under suspicion of committing a crime. They don't, however, lock people up overnight because they can't verify a permit. Innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof is upon the officer to verify that the the CCW permit is suspended or expired.

Detecting an expired permit is easy.

Suspended permits are the responsibility of the issuing authority. Out of state (or "foreign" if Voonman prefers) police might not even have the authority to suspend a CCW permit. For instance, if I commit a crime in Texas it's up to my county sheriff back in Alabama to decide whether to revoke my pistol permit. All Texas DPS can do is call the sheriff and get the ball rolling.

So, no, Texas police do not have the authority lock people up just because the internet went down, or they mixed up a license # when looking up someone's out of state permit.