Maybe moving to TX soon (near the Mexico/El Paso side) and wanted to know if anyone had info on firearms in the vehicle?? Much like the GA post....

I have a PA carry permit which is good in TX, but what about longarms???

I plan on asking the boder patrol also, and inform them of my visit just to have a few 'names' with me..

I'd just feel safer being out in no-where land with one of my toys'

As of 01 Sep 07, you can have a concealed handgun in a vehicle in Texas with or without a permit.

Long guns are always OK, concealed or not.

You can even tote a long gun around under state law without a problem, although the po-po tend to charge those who do with "display of a firearm with intent to cause a disturbance," if memory serves. Just carrying it isn't illegal.

Alex

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas..."

Texas has no laws restricting carriage of long guns.

Carry 'em in your car, on your motorcycle, on your tricycle, on your back, however you like.

As mentioned, Texas also has no laws on ammo in long guns (you can carry 'em empty or loaded).

And as wakal mentions, if you're 'inciting a disturbance', that's a different story.

Ain't Texas grand? ( I just wish we had open carry )

• Like 1

Rifles and Shotgons have been carried in vehicles loaded for as long as there have been vehicles, including buggies and wagons. However it is against the law to shoot from or on public roads and highways.

There have been cases of road hunting deer and when caught, a very heavy fine and possible/probably forfiture of the firearm, vehicle, and even jail time.

Texas Penal Code, Section 46.02 - Unlawful Carrying Weapons

pullout_TL.gifspacer.gifpullout_TR.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifCHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

§ 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

(cool.gif Except as provided by Subsection ©, an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

© An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

You will notice that it does not mention shotgun, rifle, cannon or potato gun. smile.gif You got your CCL and you are good to go. I suggest that you keep it under or in something to help avoid uncomfortable circumstances or theft. I use a tennis bag with the top facing up and unzipped between the console and passenger bucket seat. We have been conditioned to wonder if anything and everything is legal or not. Welcome to Texas, home of the as yet free in this regard.

edit - Dang! By the time I composed my response you had already gotten 4 responses. What a great board!

Edited by 1911

I thought TX had 'open carry' (even PA has that in certain areas)..

So once I get to my property though, can I then carry OPEN (pistol) ??? I got 10 open acres...

Yep, I do it all the time.

Now if the guy calls me back with the survey.... I'll be in business.

The good news is a road goes through my property. Figure I'll open a 'canteena' (sp) and charge pesos (sp) and dollars..

Had this property 5 years and finally getting my shi* together to 'just do it' and bounce from PA/NJ area... naaaa.gif

I got a Home Depot 140 miles north that said they would deliver wood and such for about $120 to me... :)

I thought TX had 'open carry' (even PA has that in certain areas)..

So once I get to my property though, can I then carry OPEN (pistol) ??? I got 10 open acres...

No no. Texas most certainly does NOT have open carry. You'll need a permit from a reciprocal state (there are many) or if you're a Texas resident, you need a TX concealed handgun license (CHL). Even with a CHL, you can't carry open. It has to be CONCEALED. TX may be permissive about other gun stuff, but they're serious about concealed carry laws.

You could probably carry on your own land and never catch any heat though. If you're a resident though, why not get a CHL and be legal everywhere?

I used to live in Texas. Great state, but I sure don't miss Houston traffic.

Edited by aresv

You could probably carry on your own land and never catch any heat though.

You can open carry on your own property.

yes that is true ..you can open carry on your property..It is considered private property but would cause a few brows to raise..As for your Out of State CHL...I would recommend you getting a Texas CHL...I currently have two of them..an Out of state Florida permit and my Texas CHL...My florida permit is valid here in Texas Buttttttttttttttt...Here is the Catch with it and all other foriegn permits...If you plan to travel anywhere with your gun especially across the state..and the police pull you over and you show them your out of state permit..There are two things they will more than likely do...1...Be an asshole and try to validate it to see if it is suspened or not...2..More than likely they cannot validate it after 5pm when most out of state permit issuing offices are closed..because foriegn permits are not linked to the Texas Police computers for them to validate...So by law they will have to detain you or in better terms lock you up in jail until the next business day to validate your foriegn license..Also it would suck if you are traveling with your family from county to county on a weekend and the police pull you over and decide to lock you up until monday for not being able to validate your permit..This information has been confirmed by the TEXAS DPS..Here is there tele# 1-800-224-5744 and give them a call for further info..

However it is against the law to shoot from or on public roads and highways.

There have been cases of road hunting deer and when caught, a very heavy fine and possible/probably forfiture of the firearm, vehicle, and even jail time.

+1

Funny, but true! Lots of open road with nothing but miles of wild hog, deer, and turkey land between some cities and towns. I commuted across 50 miles of rural N.Tx for about 4 years. I could see where it would be tempting. Drive-by hunting? Shit we can get liquor on a drive-by down here. Blows my mind. I should have moved to Tx sooner.

yes that is true ..you can open carry on your property..It is considered private property but would cause a few brows to raise..As for your Out of State CHL...I would recommend you getting a Texas CHL...I currently have two of them..an Out of state Florida permit and my Texas CHL...My florida permit is valid here in Texas Buttttttttttttttt...Here is the Catch with it and all other foriegn permits...If you plan to travel anywhere with your gun especially across the state..and the police pull you over and you show them your out of state permit..There are two things they will more than likely do...1...Be an asshole and try to validate it to see if it is suspened or not...2..More than likely they cannot validate it after 5pm when most out of state permit issuing offices are closed..because foriegn permits are not linked to the Texas Police computers for them to validate...So by law they will have to detain you or in better terms lock you up in jail until the next business day to validate your foriegn license..Also it would suck if you are traveling with your family from county to county on a weekend and the police pull you over and decide to lock you up until monday for not being able to validate your permit..This information has been confirmed by the TEXAS DPS..Here is there tele# 1-800-224-5744 and give them a call for further info..

Your scenario can't happen (legally) as described.

As of September, 2007, you can have hand guns in your vehicle here under all conditions (save you being a felon / gang member / committing a crime (other than a traffic violation) / other restricted person).

As of September, 2007, you can have hand guns in your vehicle here under all conditions (save you being a felon / gang member / committing a crime (other than a traffic violation) / other restricted person).

True but there is a slight Grey Area if the weapon is on your personal being or in a glove box..It all depends on how the officer percieves if you are carrying or its stored in the car..The best way to make sure of this is to call DPMS..They will give you the low down on what police are doing today and to avoid the hassle..

True but there is a slight Grey Area if the weapon is on your personal being or in a glove box..It all depends on how the officer percieves if you are carrying or its stored in the car..The best way to make sure of this is to call DPMS..They will give you the low down on what police are doing today and to avoid the hassle..

Nope, as of a few months ago, I dont remember the date, you CAN conceal in your vehicle WITHOUT a CCW, there is no gray area when you are in your vehicle

No gray areas at all.

Under the law, you can carry a hand gun in your vehicle in any manner you desire so long as it's concealed.

Long guns can be carried in any manner you desire (but concealment is a good idea to keep your windows intact and property in place).

More than likely they cannot validate it after 5pm when most out of state permit issuing offices are closed..because foriegn permits are not linked to the Texas Police computers for them to validate...So by law they will have to detain you or in better terms lock you up in jail until the next business day to validate your foriegn license.

Bullshit. If the TX police see an out of state (or "foreign" as you call it) license, it's their own responsibility to either

A: have a working process to honor it or simply trust it, or

B: simply NOT honor it

But since Texas does honor many out of state licenses, detaining someone without any other suspicion is illegal. If they don't trust the out of state licenses, quit claiming to honor them in the first place.

False imprisonment is serious business. I doubt the Texas police system would be so hypocritical as to claim to honor out of state licenses, only to entrap people while quibbling about being unable to "verify" those licenses.

There's nothing "foreign" about an out of state license honored under a reciprocal agreement. Please drop your naive Texas independence fantasies and realize that Texas is one of 49 other states. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are not Sam Houston fighting the Mexicans at San Jacinto. Verify that, cowboy.

Edited by aresv
More than likely they cannot validate it after 5pm when most out of state permit issuing offices are closed..because foriegn permits are not linked to the Texas Police computers for them to validate...So by law they will have to detain you or in better terms lock you up in jail until the next business day to validate your foriegn license.

Bullshit. If the TX police see an out of state (or "foreign" as you call it) license, it's their own responsibility to either

A: have a working process to honor it or simply trust it, or

B: simply NOT honor it

But since Texas does honor many out of state licenses, detaining someone without any other suspicion is illegal. If they don't trust the out of state licenses, quit claiming to honor them in the first place.

False imprisonment is serious business. I doubt the Texas police system would be so hypocritical as to claim to honor out of state licenses, only to entrap people while quibbling about being unable to "verify" those licenses.

There's nothing "foreign" about an out of state license honored under a reciprocal agreement. Please drop your naive Texas independence fantasies and realize that Texas is one of 49 other states. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are not Sam Houston fighting the Mexicans at San Jacinto. Verify that, cowboy.

I'm not sure why you're arguing this point.

Under the law, anyone driving through Texas in a vehicle can have a concealed handgun in there with them - no permit necessary.

Doesm't make a S**t what the license plate says - Texas laws affect everyone in the state of Texas.

Same logic that says I can go visit my cousin in Vermont and concealed carry while I'm there. Vermont law says any non-felonious person can concealed carry, and it doesn't say "only Vermonters".

Not talking about cars, Nalioth. I'm only referring to someone carrying a concealed firearm on foot in Texas with an out of state permit.

I find it hard to believe that a LEO would lock someone up overnight for legally carrying (on foot) with a legal out of state permit. Voonman's comment about "foreign" licenses and threats of false imprisonment just rubbed me the wrong way.

Edited by aresv

Not talking about cars, Nalioth. I'm only referring to someone carrying a concealed firearm on foot in Texas with an out of state permit.

I find it hard to believe that a LEO would lock someone up overnight for legally carrying (on foot) with a legal out of state permit. Voonman's comment about "foreign" licenses and threats of false imprisonment just rubbed me the wrong way.

Voonman didn't say anything about on foot. He said if you got pulled over and were found with hand guns in the vehicle.

I"m not picking, I'm just trying to keep the confusion down in this thread.

Aresv...Call the Texas DPMS and verify before you argue...I am relaying to you guys what they told me....So no need to get hot n bubbly...Just take 5min out of your day call them to verify what i am saying is true and not horse shit...

Going to be by Quebec, TX by the Sierra Vieja Mountains.. Just off Rt 10... (thats my story)..

This aught to be a hell of a field trip coming up next spring....

Was told by surveyor avoid the 'locals' and 'drug-dealers' and turn the other cheek...

Now if there on my property..... I may make the papers..... For most Border call-ins'.... LMAO....021.gif

Nice part of the country...if you have a backhoe, you don't need to make a lot of phone calls.

Call the Texas DPMS and verify

Ah...DPMS is in Minnesota; they make AR-pattern rifles and such. DPS is in Texas; they make arrests and such ;)

Alex

Wakal... Yah, with-in 4-6 miles of the border.... Lotta caves in the region also... hahaha

I'll be putting up a fence with alot of no-trespassing or Ninguna violación....

I go into things preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Edited by YouWontHearItComing

Aresv...Call the Texas DPMS and verify before you argue...I am relaying to you guys what they told me....So no need to get hot n bubbly...Just take 5min out of your day call them to verify what i am saying is true and not horse shit...

I already have feedback from some Houston LEO's, but nothing at the state level. They won't detain someone for having an out of state pistol permit. That's as absurd as locking somebody up overnight because the Texas police computers couldn't verify an out of state drivers' license.

So yes, I believe what you were saying was horse shit. Texas is a state just like all the others. If you don't want to be part of the USA that badly, move to Mexico and don't let the door hit you on the way out.