Saiga 308 bolt carrier

I think it's called the bolt carrier. Re: the bottom part of the carrier that resets the hammer to fire again:

I think it passes by too close to my Red Star Arms FCG. I think the side of the carrier is rubbing against it. Too close for comfort!

I want to sand off 1/100's of an inch or 2/100's from that side of the carrier. I can't see any harm in doing this. Can anyone see any harm?

Thanks for any help.

I agree with the logic about messing up on the FCG because it's replaceable but it's been awhile since I took out the FCG: what a bear! (Some more sanding or grinding down of the FCG's top elbow above the sear would do the trick.)

So I called Randall, owner of Red Star Arms, and passed it by him. He agreed 10 to 20 x 1000ths of an inch won't hurt anything. He reminded me it's hardened steel and it'll take awhile. And it sure is - 1/1000th at a time! Since it's about a 2" x 3/16" flat surface I'm not comfortable using my Dremel tool to sand it down so . . .sandpaper on a little block of wood using school glue so I can keep replacing the sandpaper. Actually it's more like 1/2 x 1000th" at a time! But time I have. Maybe I can stop at 10 x 1000ths . . .

To the second reply: The carrier rubs up against the FCG when it goes back. Too close for comfort.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm done and I'm happy with the result.

I took off 20 x 1000th" off the carrier. Half way through I didn't think it 20 would be enough. I figured out I could sand off the offending edge on my RSA-FCG - with it still in the rifle! And it worked. What a relief.

Just for the record, I had already (at the original installation of my RSA-FCG) ground down the elbow quite a bit so it would clear the bolt. I now wish that maybe I should have gone a little further. I say 'maybe' because in deciding to just sand off the edge, it looked like I might not be able to grind the elbow down much further. It may have been too much for comfort. There's that damn word again - 'comfort'.

Glad you got it. I can't imagine what it was that could have been a problem on the bolt carrier. As it is designed it slides back across the face of the hammer and resets the hammer back. I would guess that the carrier was also hitting on an edge of the hammer sear or disconnect? I've never seen a Red Star Arms FCG as all I have is the Tapco FCG.

The RSA-FCG is the only one I've ever worked on so I can't compare either. The RSA-FCG was designed for the AK-47. It'll work on the Saiga as a drop in but the first sign of a problem for me was in trying to insert the carrier. Then the bolt was hitting on recoil. Not good. This has been true for others on this forum. It's a great FCG it just needs a little. Randall, the owner of Red Star Arms, has been easy to talk to.

The part of the carrier that resets the hammer and looks like a fat ski or one foot of a sled was brushing by the elbow of which, as I think you point out, the sear is a part of. This is too close for me considering the amount of free play and recoil forces at work. Therefore this fat ski was too fat/wide for comfort.

Another point I didn't mention previously that helped minimize my concern is that this may not be a problem when I'm actually firing the weapon because I'm holding the trigger back in followthrough which actually depresses this FCG 'elbow' safely out of the way with a fair amount of clearance. In other words, maybe the only time there might be problem is when I hand-rack that first round - not much to worry about recoil forces there.

BUT since I'm no expert . . . I'd rather not take any chances. I just hope I was clearer than mud.

Edited by storminNorm