gas plug....did i do someting wrong

Hey all first time i posted on here. I have a saiga 12 with folding stock and md 20 drum. I shot 40 rounds through it this weekend. When i came home to clean it i unscrewed the gas plug and there was alot of debris inside the gas plug area. I then noticed it looked like half the threads were blown off the plug....but it screws in fine and sits flush. Is this normal? How man threads are supposed to be on it? and also how many are supposed to be inside the gun whre it screws in. Pictures would be helpful as Im worried my new gun might be F'd. Thanks all in advance!

I remember the first time I unscrewed the gas plug and thought the same thing. Your fine. You have to clean/scrape off all the carbon build up that is making it look like you are missing threads!

I'd suggest your order the "Gunfixr Plug". It has 4 not 2 settings as the OEM plug giving you the best gas regulation for the different ammo that you'll shoot!

Welcome to the forum. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your Saiga 12 or that any of the threads on the gas plug are damaged. Here are pictures of a standard Saiga 12 gas plug......

post-5877-12560933357969_thumb.jpg

post-5877-12560933265027_thumb.jpg

........and as you can clearly see the threads only go about a third of the way down from the top of the plug (the spiral pattern on the remaining length of the plug is just a machining mark left over from fabrication that Izhmash does not bother to polish out to save on manufacturing costs).

The gas powder residue you see inside the gas cylinder (gas chamber) when you take the gas plug and piston out is perfectly normal after firing the shotgun. All gas operated firearms will have gas residue build up (to varying degrees depending on the design) in their gas system during firing. If you fire enough rounds the gas residue cakes up to the point where it will actually flake off from the sides of the cylinder wall (looking like debris rather than just residue) when you remove the gas plug and cylinder. But again that's perfectly normal.

After you are finished cleaning your Saiga 12 and have reinstalled the piston, screw the gas plug in as far as it will go, and then back it out until you hit the first one of the settings (it doesn't matter whether it is 1 or 2) so the plunger locks into the detent for it. Between this point and the point you have to turn the plug counter-clockwise to in order to reach the other gas setting is how far you should have the gas plug screwed in during firing.

• Like 1

I just cleaned mine after the first round of shooting it. I found all kinds of scale inside that came out in chunks. It had me worried as well, then I cleaned everything out and saw the threads on the gun and the gunfixr plug were fine. That was after about 120 rounds in a few hours.