SGL-21's no longer crazy expensive?

Watch the rest of the stuff as well. The thing that has me kicking my own butt is the bayonets. The had brand new Gen 3 Bulgarian bayonets for 39.95 a few days ago and I thought about ordering one for each of my AK's that has the lug. I screwed around and they are now $59.95! I ordered one folding stock and hardware set which included everything for $164.99 ( http://www.k-var.com/shop/search.php?mode=search ) now they are out of stock and the other available option is $260.00. If you see a good deal I suggest you squeeze the sphincter and get it. Just got back from shooting with a buddy who bought one of the $499.00 SGL21's and he was getting 1 1/2" groups easy at 50 yards (with the crappy iron sights). He hasn't shot a rifle since he was in service and is now 60 yrs. old. Needless to say he was ecstatic. You see it, you like it, figure out a way to get it. I sure hope that folks are right and another big sale comes at Christmas but I kind of doubt it watching the FOREX exchange rates and the price of gold. You pays your money and your takes your chances.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually keep a file of "fat and gay cop photos" for replying to Azriel!

^ I'd be more inclined to agree with you and your strategy of "keep waiting" if we didn't have a Marxist in the White House, (with "H"is fellow travelers controlling Congress).   It's not just the e

k-var = $529+18 shipping =$547 + I got to use my credit card... atlantic = "$555 OTD" + You have to run around securing a money order...   not sure what math you're using, but I prefer

Posted Images

Watch the rest of the stuff as well. The thing that has me kicking my own butt is the bayonets. The had brand new Gen 3 Bulgarian bayonets for 39.95 a few days ago and I thought about ordering one for each of my AK's that has the lug. I screwed around and they are now $59.95! I ordered one folding stock and hardware set which included everything for $164.99 ( http://www.k-var.com/shop/search.php?mode=search ) now they are out of stock and the other available option is $260.00. If you see a good deal I suggest you squeeze the sphincter and get it. Just got back from shooting with a buddy who bought one of the $499.00 SGL21's and he was getting 1 1/2" groups easy at 50 yards (with the crappy iron sights). He hasn't shot a rifle since he was in service and is now 60 yrs. old. Needless to say he was ecstatic. You see it, you like it, figure out a way to get it. I sure hope that folks are right and another big sale comes at Christmas but I kind of doubt it watching the FOREX exchange rates and the price of gold. You pays your money and your takes your chances.

Yeah, I noticed that on the bayonets also. I should have bought one in the last week, but oh well. A bayonet sale is not as significant as a rifle sale. ;) I did get in on that; I bought a plum SGL21, (easily capable of 1" - 1 1/2" @50 yrd groups using irons), for ~$505.

Both your friend and I also have the approprate lugs on our rifles to attach a Russian underbarrel grenade launcher, should the opportunity ever present itself. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

For all practical defensive needs, I dont think there is any other rifle that is as good as the AK. However, unless there is a bill that is in congress that may past or not past. Or there is a complete ban, AK's should never be anywere over 500 hundred dollars. 500 and up is just marketing bullshit and if people were to think rationaly they would realize that any price over 500 hundred is just too dam expensive. AKs are the predominate rifle all over the world and thats because they are cheap, avalible and reliable. A 3rd world man or an american gangbanger's cheap AK will kill you just as quick as a 500+ one will. So, with that said the prices of the last few weeks was fair because of the quality vs the the other brands but anything higher is a rip-off so, please be rational Ak fans and make these companies lower there prices again by not buying expensive Aks.

i have a old wasr now i've loved for years, always been reliable and rounds go in and rounds go out. I've upgraded it, downgraded it, wrenched on it getting the muzzle nut off and putting a standard 45 deg comp on, threaded, etc, never let me down so far. Through reading much discussion here bit the bullet and got myself one of these. I hope they are all they are cracked up to be and I don't suffer any buyers remorse :)

Edited by kevins7189
  • 2 weeks later...

500 is still cheap for a military grade semi automatic rifle.. in fact, it's still cheaper then anything else.. Maybe it's expensive for a wasr but for a good quality ak-47 or a good quality semi auto rifle for that matter, it's a great price.

For a comparative pricing - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56988

500 is still cheap for a military grade semi automatic rifle.. in fact, it's still cheaper then anything else.. Maybe it's expensive for a wasr but for a good quality ak-47 or a good quality semi auto rifle for that matter, it's a great price.

For a comparative pricing - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56988

responded to your PM but for clarification I'll post in this topic too.

- yes there are cheaper AKs around, lots in fact.. I was saying that a quality AK for 500 is still a good deal in my book in comparison to the other military rifles that are available (IE m16/galil/sig).. There simply are very few guns in the 500 dollar range that are the same quality as the AK.. Again, more of an AK vs other guns comparison than AK vs AK was what I was getting at.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to let ya'll know that my problems were resolved. If you look back at page 5 of this thread you'll see that the SGL21 that I bought from K-VAR had a canted front gas block (left) and a canted front sight (right). I sent it back (at my expense) to Arsenal. Well, it has returned from it's repair trip and it looks like they took care of all the issues. I hope to get our tomorrow and test it out. They did send a test target to show that they test fired it again at the factory. Overall I'm pretty happy with their return/repair. I mean, they should have saved me the $18 in shipping it back to them but in the end they fixed all said problems in a timely manner. I think it was something like 2.5-3 weeks door to door. Most of that time it was probably in the carrier's hands.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I came close to listing my restored 7.62x39 Saiga on Gunbroker to get a $505 Arsenal Plum. I took it out of the safe, though, and changed my mind. As I looked at it, I got the feeling that I created it, almost as if I totally built it up myself. All the touches and finish that I put there, it might as well have been a build, since I took the Saiga Barrel and receiver, and built the rest up.

Then there is the accuracy: Its Izhmash hammer forged barrel gave 86mm at 100 meters before the restoral, and will do about 2 MOA now from a rest. I know this is dead on where I want it, the trigger pull a tad over 2 lbs. The RAM 2000 speed catch, and even my modified Saiga mag that takes 15 rounds. Also, I know it is absolutely, 100% reliable. Look at this. It is like my child, almost. The ARsenal only has a bayonet lug and underbarrel cleaning rod that mine doesn't. Maybe some day I will change that if I feel a need to mount a bayonet.

DSC03751.jpg

AK noob here...

Got the Arsenal SGL-21 about a month ago and enjoying it very much.

I'd LOVE to learn how to convert a mag to get 15 rounds though, the max allowed in New Jermany...

Thanks

I have never tried this on an AK mag, but it has worked in other mags. Get a hungarian 20 rounder, and put a dowel in between the floor plate and the follower so it will only load 15. It would sit in the middle of the spring. Obviously you would need to figure out the length of the dowel, but thats just trial and error. I did this on my AR for hunting since we in NH can only have 5 rounds in the mag.

Edited by Digger44

Hey guys, what's the difference between the SGL-20s and 21s? Is it just the year they were manufactured?

The 20's lack an accessory lug. They also lack several Russian components such as the FSB (the 20 uses a Bulgarian).

I don't know whether this is typical or not, but my SGL20 has a worse finish (post-pocalyptic backs me up on that), came with the very loose safety lever and a nasty gap between the closed safety and the dust cover. The dust covers are also different, with the one on SGL21 having an extra "ridge" on the bottom and fitting better and tighter.