I'm sure this is going to be one of the dumber questions asked, but I'll ask anyway..

Fired a few ar-15s (mainly bushmasters).. but I went to a private range and my friends dad had an old "pre-ban" colt ar-15 (.223, guess thats a given). It wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but I guess looks can be decieving. I took it and pulled the trigger and all I hear was a wierd spring clanging noise (I guess with my head resting on the stock it was all I could hear with my earplugs in).. I assumed it was some sort of jam (the gun looked worthy of jamming and hadn't been cleaned in years), but was amazed to find out it had fired.. and on target.. Finished the mag and it felt like firing an airsoft rifle.. The gun is sort of a family heirloom, nobody seems to know much about it.. The wierd clanging noise was there on every shot, and frankly sounded terrible. Was firing wolf FMJ.

After I was done I saw my friend go to use it.. he took one shot, looked confused, and also checked it for a jam.

Again I'm sure this is going to turn out to be a stupid question, but I have no idea what the hell was going on.

I guess I've just never fired on with a good recoil buffer.. really took me by suprise. Compared it to a bushmaster and it an entirely different story.

Well thanks, I'd figured it would be something simple that I just hadn't come across (havn't fired that many ARs really, I like to stick to my ak)