410 AK's

I am new to the forum but not new to AK's. I am new to shotgun type AK's and have some questions. In a 410 AK such as a Saiga how is the recoil compared to a 7.62X39? Also what is the allure to this caliber in an AK? Is it used as a better alternative to the rifle rounds for home defense? Is it more fun for plinking? PLease tell me the reasons for this type of AK, my interest has been perked by the sale offering at K Var. I already snapped up an SGL21 and it will be here Wednesday. I am just want to know your thoughts on a 410 Saiga. Thanks so much

I am new to the forum but not new to AK's. I am new to shotgun type AK's and have some questions. In a 410 AK such as a Saiga how is the recoil compared to a 7.62X39? Also what is the allure to this caliber in an AK? Is it used as a better alternative to the rifle rounds for home defense? Is it more fun for plinking? PLease tell me the reasons for this type of AK, my interest has been perked by the sale offering at K Var. I already snapped up an SGL21 and it will be here Wednesday. I am just want to know your thoughts on a 410 Saiga. Thanks so much

The "off the shelf" 000x5 (.36") pellet buckshot makes a nice "pattern" at 25 yards.

But they are pricey....about a buck a pop...as are most .410 loads.

If you get into .410, you may consider reloading. Then you will be able to in crease your "options".

Loads I have developed include: 0000x4 (.375") and .40x3.

Like above posted said, you can roll your own. I don't reload, I take the Remington express max dram load .410 shells for #6 bird shot and swap them to 10 pellet #4 buckshot, quite impressive on melons.

The .410 Saiga could be a useful HD weapon, have 6-7 rounds of birdshot on top of the 15 round mag then the rest slugs, if the birdshot to the face doesn't stop them the slugs to the chest will...

Sleepy time, get it, its fun, and recoil is almost non existant. Shit, my S308 I fired by accident at the range just holding the pistol grip without it shouldered and it just fired, no jumping outta my hands or anything... semi auto gas systems kill most recoil, for me anyways (I'm used to benching 30-06 heavy loads, all to the shoulder, so it may be different for you, but the semi auto definately makes recoil go waaaaaaaaaaay down).

Peace.

Reliability --- that about sums up why chamber an AK for shotgun rounds. What other semi-auto shotgun can you count on to keep on working regardless of what you throw at it. Normally semi-auto shotguns are finicky, picky eaters that have a jam-o-matic reputation. The AK action solves that issue.

if the birdshot to the face doesn't stop them the slugs to the chest will...

This is so NOT what you want to be thinking.

If you pull the trigger on someone, they should be in a position where their death is the only way to halt their attack upon you and yours.

"birdshot to the face" might land YOU in jail, and possibly make you the recipient of civil actions.