Let me run a few thoughts past you...

I'm considering purchasing a Saiga 308 sometime this year or next. The local gun shop has several models available but one in particular caught my eye. It's a Converted Saiga 308 with a 22" barrel, large scope with visor (not sure brand), bipod, 8 round mag, and Dragonov style stock. I was thinking of buying a stock one and then adding upgrades as necessary, but this one looks to be pretty much how I would set one up (I might add an adjustable stock). The shop is asking about $800 for it. Good deal? Would I be better off buying a less expensive 308 and then adding the bits I want (scope, bipod, Adjustable stock)? I haven't been shopping around for one very long. Thanks.

Find out what kind of scope and mount is involved. Muzzle attachments on it? Devil is always in the details. Its not a horrible price but then you didnt give much to go on.

Check the weight also when you say large scope that could add 3 or 4 pounds to the rifle easy. Just a suggestion. Used or new? etc etc etc

I stopped by the shop today. First off, after looking at it closer this time, it is NOT converted yet. Still in sporting configuration. The scope is a UTG 4-16 x 50 Illuminated (Which he has on sale separately for $89). It has a 21" barrel. Up until today I was unaware that UTG made scopes. Any thoughts?

I stopped by the shop today. First off, after looking at it closer this time, it is NOT converted yet. Still in sporting configuration. The scope is a UTG 4-16 x 50 Illuminated (Which he has on sale separately for $89). It has a 21" barrel. Up until today I was unaware that UTG made scopes. Any thoughts?

$800 for a non converted rifle is crazy!!!!!! Just my opinion.

$800 for a non converted rifle is crazy!!!!!! Just my opinion.

Agreed, and I have never heard of a UTG scope either, but they dont have the best rep on some of their other parts. And scopes more than anything else, you get what you pay for.

That's what it looks like.

He has the same rifle converted with 8 and 20 round mags, but minus scope and bipod for $800. Still seems a bit high.

So I guess the question is how much should I expect to budget to get the rifle I want?

.308 caliber

20"-22" barrel

Bipod

Good scope

Adjustable stock

Converted

The rifle itself, around $500 + or -

The rest depands on what you want.

Bipod- Harris? Around $80. Rail mounted? UTG type bipod around $30. Pistol grip/bipod?

Scope- A western type (rail mounted) than you need a side rail or some other type of rail. A Russian POSP scope? Depanding on the zoom and a few other features about $250 and up (new)

Stock- will probobly be considered part of the conversion. A tapco AR type stock around $50 The rest of the conversion depands on how plain or fancy you want to get.

Handguards - AK like, (than you need the retainer) Saiga, complete rail all around? 3 sided, just the top,.....etc...etc.. UTG is prolly the cheapest (not sure if they fit the 308) Ultimak makes a good one but can be over $200 depanding on what you want.

Pistol Grip- plain, cheap one about $10 maybe cheaper if you can find a used one.

Trigger group about $30

You should ask yourself what you want your rifle to do. MBR, semi auto sniper, carbine.... And go from there. I assume, by your description your looking for something between an MBR and a sniper. Check the pic thread see what suits you most.

Edited by Arik

Thanks Arik. The $500ish you're estimating for the rifle, is that converted or non-converted?

I think I'd like to be able to go out to about 300-400 yards or so with the rifle, so that would put it into the MBR range then? I think most of my budget for this will go into the rifle itself and a scope. I already have an extra rail hanging around and I can get an adjustable Tapco stock pretty cheap locally.

I'm not real picky about thing like having the furniture all perfect or authentic. I just want something that works and puts little pieces of metal down range consistently (I think this is what attracts me to the AK style anyway :) ).

Do you guys shop for your rifles online?

$500 +/- just for the rifle. Unless you find some sort of a package deal.

I shop online. Most of the stores around here stock a large amount of shotguns, bolts, and ARs. And 1 or 2 Century Ak.

I bought original S-308 (16") from Gunbroker a few weeks ago for $400 (only one that bid, and my max bid was $500!) After shipping/ BG was about $450...

Just converted with an ACE folder (also from Gunbroker), Dinzag FCG/ Trigger Guard, and a SAW grip. I'm into it for about $650(ish).

The UTG is a cheap Chinese scope. I would also take a hard look at the bipod and see if it is a genuine Harris. They Chinese have been making knock-offs of this as well. It is worth about $30, used. For a non-converted rifle, this does not sound like a great deal to me.

Now there's a thought. If I bought one on gunbroker I'd just have to have it shipped to my local gun shop, right? I'll have to keep an eye on that place...

I swear by Gunbroker. Got many good deals buying and made some good money selling as well. VERY HELPFUL- Use Smart Search to check ONLY the completed auctions to get an accurate idea of a price range they actually sell for, and then bid on a current auction accordingly. Don't get frustrated missing out on a few auctions (or more....). If your bid is REALISTIC you will win one eventually. Goes without saying how dangerous it is to bid on more than one at a time though!

Edited by Reno2507

I think before you buy anything from GB or a dealer from another state you should figure in the cost of shipping AND how much your dealer is going to charge for paperwork. For instance my dealer charges $40. $35 for paperwork and $5 background check. So sometimes what might seem like a good deal ends up costing the same or sometimes more.

<br />I think before you buy anything from GB or a dealer from another state you should figure in the cost of shipping AND how much your dealer is going to charge for paperwork. For instance my dealer charges $40. $35 for paperwork and $5 background check. So sometimes what might seem like a good deal ends up costing the same or sometimes more.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

My FFL charges 10 bucks. That's it. I found him on the Gunbroker list. It allows you to search by zip code. I'm sure you're dealer is a stand up person, but you can find better deals out there.

Shipping is usually listed in the auction.

Your shitting me! A dealer sold a .308 saiga for $400? WTF?

That's not what I've seen and I'm shopping (they didn't have a reserve price?)

Check the COMPLETED AUCTIONS, and you will see them ending at around $400...Just got to keep bidding until you get one. Mine was $400, and with BG and shipping came to about $450. I'm happy w/ that considering my max bid was $500, so would have been $550...