Who would you say is the most famous Paratrooper?

Dick Winters??

John Wayne? :lolol:

NO! ITS THIS GUY!!!

And man was I surprised!!

http://clorechronicles.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/jimi-hendrix-military-man/

Doesnt seem like a proper fit to me, but its true!!

I knew he served in the Army, but didn't know it was with the Screaming Eagles. No surprises though, many entertainers have served in the Amed Forces. Some are famous, others are well...infamous.

Ed McMahon for example was a Marine Aviator:

(From Wikipedia)

Military service

Ed McMahon wanted to become a US Marine Corps fighter pilot. Prior to the US entry into World War II, the Army and Navy required 2 years of college for entry into its pilots program. Ed McMahon enrolled into classes at Boston College. After Pearl Harbor was attacked, the military dropped the college requirement for pilot training, so McMahon dropped out of school and applied to the Marines. His primary flight training was in Dallas and was followed up by fighter training in Pensacola where he received his carrier landing qualifications. He spent the next 2 years as a flight instructor training other Marine pilots. McMahon finally received orders to the Pacific fleet in 1945, but those orders were cancelled after the Atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki ending the war.

As an Officer in the reserves, McMahon was recalled to Active Duty during the Korean War. This time, he flew the OE-1 (the original Marine designation for the Cessna O-1 Bird Dog), a unarmed single-engine spotter plane. He functioned as an artillery spotter for the Marine Batteries on the ground and as a forward controller for the Navy and Marine fighter bombers. He flew a total of 85 combat missions, earning 6 Air Medals. After the war, he stayed with the Marines, as a reserve officer, retiring in 1966 as a Colonel. (End Excerpt)

And then there's the story of Tracy Marrow, aka Ice-T who allegedly served in the Army an earned the Ranger tab.

Kris Kristofferson served in the Army as a helicopeter pilot, and was ranger qualified. He left as a Captain.

I guess it depends on what you consider famous. I consider Audy Murphy (WWII) and Sgt Alvin York (WWI) famous soldiers, I consider Jimi Hendrix a entertainer that served in the military. JMO ;)

And yes I know that Murphy and York were not paratroopers, but there is famous, and then there is famous. I use them as an example of true fame.

Edited by waltham_41

I guess it depends on what you consider famous. I consider Audy Murphy (WWII) and Sgt Alvin York (WWI) famous soldiers, I consider Jimi Hendrix a entertainer that served in the military. JMO ;)

And yes I know that Murphy and York were not paratroopers, but there is famous, and then there is famous. I use them as an example of true fame.

Don't forget Jimmy Stewart during WWII. ;)

Otto Skorzeny maybe? For those who don't know he was the SS commando extraordinaire. You know, he's the dude that landed the Feisler Storch on the tiny mountain fortress grounds and rescued Mussolini from captivity? Any who care to can read about his exploits here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Skorzeny

Say what you want, but this guy had balls...

Me. :haha:

Didn't play guitar though (just a mean skinflute). I have big cahones too (had to deploy two chutes to land safely). :super:

The 101'st was just a bunch of "Dopes on a Rope" (Air Assault) when I was in back in '85-'88.