20 Ga Wood

I was chatting with Indy last night and was pointed towards Ironwood Designs (The walnut set for Hungarian stamped straight cut specifically) for US made wooden AK furniture.

I've always liked the look of a wood stock on rifle, and currently my saiga is my only standout. I really don't dig the current Russian/Bulgarian setups that are available, and the thought of 3 additional US parts is an attention-getter. Anyways, my question: I was wondering if somebody had tried fitting one of Ironwood's sets on a Saiga, and how did it turn out?

I just ordered a walnut set from Matt at Ironwood Designs. Spoke with him a few times on the phone, he's pretty knowledgeable, but my set is for my AK. I love the way the wood looks on the Saigas, I have 3 Saiga shottys, but don't know if I really want to change to wood on them, will see how the AK switch goes from the Romanian lam. to the walnut (it's finish it yourself, I don't know if Matt will do the finish work, but the price is good on the unfinished, pre-sanded furni.). He's paypal and M.O., etc. but not set up for CCs. I started out looking for a US pistol grip, and wound up with a full walnut set....it looked so good........ http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/

Doing this biz in CA must be a challenge ;)

Smokes

Alright, a thought. Does anybody have a set of calipers and a 20 that could take a couple of measurements for me?

Specifically I'm looking for the outside barrel diameter behind the gas block and the outside diameter of the chamber.

The barrel diameter is .8" all the way to the gas block

Then mine has a little narrow spot JUST PAST the gas block... that part is .82"

then it widens up...

Starts at about .86" and tapers up to .905

Then it tapers UP again to 1.015, but gets SLIGHTLY narrower before the receiver... as it goes back to 1.00" then narroes again, RIGHT AT THE RECEIVER.

That final diameter is .980"-.985" ( ish)

Mind you my "mics" arent the BEST in the world ( Might be off a thousandth.)... but that should be CLOSE ENOUGH to do everything you need to do!

ENJOY!!

:smoke:

Alright, one more question. Does anybody know how wide the RPK barrel is where the hand guard retainer attaches? Barring that, does anybody know how wide the main opening is on this part? I'm looking for a premade piece that I can bore out, but if I end up having to make a piece, I don't want to blow a wad on a part that is going to be nothing more than an expensive template.

Thanks