After posting my thread about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and someone bringing up Krav Maga, i decided to do a little probing around on the internet to see what i could find about it. It looks like a most promising Martial Art for those in the Military, LE or just looking for good all around self defense platform. In my ongoing quest for knowledge, i also stumbled across the Russian Martial Art of Systema; and this being the Saiga forum, i thought it would be appropriate to mention it, and see if any of you guys or gals out there knows anything about it? Im curious to know more about this art, but there doesnt seem to be any schools here in the US that teach it. the closest one i found was up in Canada.

• Like 1

After posting my thread about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and someone bringing up Krav Maga, i decided to do a little probing around on the internet to see what i could find about it. It looks like a most promising Martial Art for those in the Military, LE or just looking for good all around self defense platform. In my ongoing quest for knowledge, i also stumbled across the Russian Martial Art of Systema; and this being the Saiga forum, i thought it would be appropriate to mention it, and see if any of you guys or gals out there knows anything about it? Im curious to know more about this art, but there doesnt seem to be any schools here in the US that teach it. the closest one i found was up in Canada.

I've been thinking about Systema also. It looks very no-frills, all business, and effective. There's a couple of places in my area (Dallas) that offer it. Think I'll pay them a visit. Thanks for starting this thread.

I've been thinking about Systema also. It looks very no-frills, all business, and effective. There's a couple of places in my area (Dallas) that offer it. Think I'll pay them a visit. Thanks for starting this thread.

Sounds like Krav. My wife and kids have been receiving instruction for over a year now. The Krav instructor taught hand to hand in the military, uses whatever is most effective for a particular situation from a variety of disciplines, and every time I go to class with the family, I feel my years in Tae Kwon Do were wasted time.

Within a couple of weeks this guy had the kids (and my wife) doing stuff that would put the average TKD black belt in the dirt within seconds.

Its both humbling and awe inspiring to see these methods at work. No belts. No rank. Just effective technique.

WS

I first heard about it several years ago from a Ukrainian guy in a pool room. My group of friends happens to have 1 guy that has black belts in Bjj, TKD, Escrima, full/empty hand trained under Preses and kung fu. He now teaches a hybrid that seems to me a lot like JKD. We consider him dangerous. The 2nd friend has taught TKD for years. This "guy" a stranger, in a demonstration on me and another friend impressed EVERYONE and both teachers, with the ease it appeared he completely neutralized everything we did. Not full contact but enough for a parking lot. Ripped my shirt and knees of my pants from me going down. This was before you could research this stuff on the net so I didn't see any mention of it again until a few years ago.

Things said

"It looks so easy"

"It looks like they're exaggerating their reactions" (We weren't)

"He just flows like water" etc

Effective

I did American Goju Ryu(Karate/Judo/JuJitsu/Aikido) back in the day. No sport stuff, pure "self-defense". My O Sensei was "retired" CIA. Essentially what was taught to our troops/operatives in the Mil and CIA at the time. When I got into Army MP School, it was all old hat for me and I ended up all but taking over the class. The Officer in Charge gave me his Name/ph.# and told me to call him when I made E5. My dumb ass left Service as an E4. Should NEVER have gotten married, lol.

I've looked at both Systema and Krav, and there is ALOT of similarity with what I was taught/teaching. Very good, "no holds barred" systems that get progressivly "malicious" as you train.

Personally, I've never cared for "sporterized" versions of MAs. Don't get me wrong, I think most competitors are extreme atheletes and it is a fine line between sport and combat. But in sport fighting, there are always techniques that you're not allowed to use, usually due to safety, fairness(honor), etc. In combat fighting/training, NOTHING is off limits.

Krav, Systema, AGR(see above)and Marine/Military Combatives are good examples of Combat fight training. If you can get into ANY of these, you'll not regret it.

Just my 2 bits.

PS - did you know that the basic "ballistics" of a WWII/Korean War Mil. Issue bi-fold shovel(the wood handled type) are nearly identical to a double bitted axe w/ a top spike? I can't stand the new tri-folds, how can you use it as a weapon if its folded up in the case? Put a pointed Machete in one hand and an extended bi-fold shovel in the other and you are literally ready to go "BeserkrgangR" on someones backside. Sorry, I've had some WMA training as well, lol.

I've looked at both Systema and Krav, and there is ALOT of similarity with what I was taught/teaching. Very good, "no holds barred" systems that get progressivly "malicious" as you train.

Personally, I've never cared for "sporterized" versions of MAs. Don't get me wrong, I think most competitors are extreme atheletes and it is a fine line between sport and combat. But in sport fighting, there are always techniques that you're not allowed to use, usually due to safety, fairness(honor), etc. In combat fighting/training, NOTHING is off limits.

I asked my martial arts friend what he would do in a street fight with a pro MMA fighter and he said something like, "If I couldn't run away.... I guess I would get it to the ground, fish hook him or try to pop an eye out, I'd end up breaking a lot of his fingers and then throat/collar bone would be my end goal....." lol

Did not sound like any martial arts I've seen or heard of..... but that's pretty friggin martial.

Over the years I have never had to use any of the training I received, and I'm grateful for that. These days - defending myself with hand to hand seems like a fools play. If I can, I'll walk away. If my opponent won't let me, he's likely to get a quick lesson in ventilation...lol!

WS